Asst Dir for Facility Planning
Job no: 512844
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President for Student Affairs
Department: Student Affairs - Assoc. VP
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Business / Accounting / Finance, Engineering
Student Affairs at Virginia Tech strives for excellence in all ways as it seeks to create transformative learning environments for students and advance the Aspirations for Student Learning. The Assistant Director for Facility Planning will assist with the planning of all new and major renovations to the Housing & Residence Life and Dining Services facilities including the development and management of associated financial planning for the entire portfolio in the Senior Associate Vice President’s Office for Student Affairs. As part of this role, the individual will assist with oversight of the planning, design and construction of capital projects to ensure they achieve our aspired student outcomes and are delivered efficiently and under budget.
This position will report to the Director for Finance and Planning on day-to-day assignments. The position will perform a wide variety of duties to assist the Finance and Planning unit to successfully manage our portfolio of facilities and facility improvement projects with strong fiscal stewardship. Specific duties also include assisting in the:
1) Act as a liaison with Physical Plant Facilities and the Senior Associate Vice President’s Office for Student Affairs coordinating activities related buildings and grounds, utilities, parking services, etc.
2) Capital planning for the Director of Finance and Planning, including conception through completion ensuring our program needs are incorporated within the established budget and schedule.
3) Management of all renovation and new construction project budgets
4) Assist with the financial planning and tracking of renovation, maintenance, new construction and other project budgets, and operational budgets in Planning and Operations.
5) Develop monthly reports that effectively communicate current budget realities, the status of capital projects, and future financial plans.
6) Work closely with unit leaders to influence a culture of financial planning and stewardship, and outstanding facilities.
The ideal candidate will be student-centered, of uncompromising integrity, internally motivated, and possess the skills to work both independently and with a team. The individual should have comprehensive capabilities that includes experience with planning, design and construction of higher education facilities, financial management, and utilizing technology. An orientation toward detail, action, solutions, and quality is essential.
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Building Construction, Business or related field, OR a combination of relevant training and/or experience.
• Working knowledge of site/building design and construction processes including LEED requirements.
• Experience with project management software.
• Ability to interpret design and construction documents.
• Ability to read/interpret construction schedules and have knowledge of building codes and construction means and methods.
• Experience managing design and construction budgets
• Attention to detail and quality driven.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
• Strong customer service and communication skills.
• Registered/Licensed Architect or Engineer in Virginia (as defined by the Code of Virginia), Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, Design-Build Professional, LEED Accredited Professional or other related certifications.
• Design/Build, Design/Bid/Build, and Construction Manager-at-Risk construction experience.
• Design and Construction experience in a higher education setting.
• Experience working with the Bureau of Capital Outlay Management, a university building official, or similar office.
• Demonstrated strengths in budget and financial processes in public the university setting,
• Strong time management and organizational skills, and ability to work independently with little supervision, prioritize work, and perform multiple functions simultaneously.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend