Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to Inclusive VT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise scale, high-performance computing and communications networks. Come join us in ensuring that Hokies have direct access to reliable, leading edge, high-speed national and global research networks and facilities for teaching and learning, research, administration, and community service and engagement.
NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role. Members of our team will have an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where all members of the team are expected to:
■ Work cooperatively with others as part of a highly functional team
■ Recognize and respect the practices, customs, values, and norms of other individuals, groups, and cultures
■ Focus on identifying and satisfying customer needs
■ Build positive and professional working relationships
■ Listen actively and effectively
■ Understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives
■ Present ideas and concepts clearly utilizing effective verbal, written, and visual communications skills
■ Manage time and prioritize tasks to ensure assignments are completed according to established expectations
■ Demonstrate self discipline and reliability
As a member of our Network Infrastructure and Installation team, you will contribute to the installation of cable, conduit, surface raceway, optical fiber and various types of network hardware and equipment needed for Virginia Tech’s communications networks. These networks meet the operational, academic, social, and research needs of over 33,000 students and 8,000 faculty/staff.
Although not limited to the following, the position’s responsibilities will include:
● Perform tasks associated with the installation, repair and maintenance of the University voice, data and video systems.
● Perform activation of various telecommunications services as specified in work orders.
● Assist with fusion splicing, termination and testing of optical fiber.
● With supervision, completes installation of network hardware to include wireless access points and Ethernet switches.
● Installation of Category 6 station cable, termination of RJ-45 jacks, termination of S-210 wiring blocks and perform certification of station cable to ensure compliance with university and industry standards.
● Maintain work order documentation and verify that 911 information is correct after work orders are completed.
● Participation in project management as a team member, following all appropriate IT Project Management processes and procedures.