Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 519555
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Location: Fully Remote, Hybrid
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Reporting to the Senior Director of Learning Systems in Virginia Tech’s Technology-enhanced
Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) unit, the person filling this position will act as an
application developer in support of all technology platforms provided by the TLOS Learning
Systems (LS) team, including, but not limited to:
● Canvas learning management system
● Zoom video conferencing platform
● Kaltura video content management system
● EvaluationKIT survey platform
● Canvas Catalog course registration system
● Our enterprise WordPress instance
● The TLOS data analytics infrastructure
This person will serve primarily as a programmer (focused on front-end development), with the
expectation that they will spend the majority of their time on heads-down coding activities.
Team interaction will be important in terms of understanding requirements, following our best
practices for development, testing, and in terms of providing tier-3 support for our systems.
Much of our work is around data analytics and systems integration, making all systems listed
above work seamlessly for VT students and faculty alike.
The application developer, as a member of our software development team, will work directly
with their supervisor, other members of a development team, and other teams within TLOS to
meet project goals with an emphasis on usability and end-user satisfaction. They will collaborate
with the team to develop software solutions. The developer should be well versed in translating
user-interface designs into working code.
The person filling this role should both be comfortable writing code and supporting mission
critical university-wide production systems, as well as having the skills to work on smaller,
innovative technology efforts, as the job will require a mix of both.
● Perform software development efforts for TLOS meeting deadlines for deliverables.
● Work collaboratively with other teams within TLOS to meet project goals and
● Troubleshoot complex application problems and implement root cause fixes.
● Provide maintenance code changes for developed production applications.
● Provide customizations to integrate, enhance, and maintain vendor software and
enterprise systems based on end-user needs.
● Use industry-standard best practices in all TLOS application development to ensure
security, compatibility, and supportability.
● Document all work thoroughly in a way that others can rely upon
Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or similar field
● Demonstrated skills in developing application “front-ends”, including skills with HTML,
● Professional software development experience with a modern procedural,
object-oriented, or functional programming language using an IDE - examples of
languages desired: Java, Ruby, PHP, Python
● Experience building, deploying and maintaining standards-based web applications in a
highly available (24x7x365) and scalable environment
● Understanding of relational databases and experience working with databases in web
based applications (solid SQL skills needed)
● Experience providing tier-2 / tier-3 end-user support
● Skills using source code management systems such as Git, Subversion, or CVS
● Experience with software testing frameworks such as JUnit, pyTest, or minites
●Experience using cloud-based hosting environments such as AWS, Microsoft Azure, or
● Experience in requirements elicitation and management
● Experience as a developer in higher education
● Experience and expertise in developing accessible software that meets WCAG 2.1
requirements and is fully responsive
● Practical experience using agile development methods in a production environment
● Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and experience with learning management systems
and/or online collaboration systems
● Proficiency working with a variety of operating systems including Linux, MacOS, and
Commensurate on experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Amber Pifer at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend