Registrar - Aeromedical Retrieval - Multiple Positions
Tasmanian Health Service
Tasmanian Hlth Service - Northern Region
Launceston General Hospital
Applications must be submitted by
|Applications close:|| AEST|
|Award/Classification:||MP Level 5 (Registrar/Snr yr1)|
|| Full Time
|Location:||LGH Charles Street, Launceston|
The Tasmanian Health Service is an innovative and dynamic organisation dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of our community. We are committed to providing the highest levels of healthcare and services.
Five Aeromedical Retrieval Registrar positions exist staffing a 24 hour 7 day a week medical retrieval service for critically ill patients requiring hospital transfer both intra and interstate on a call out basis. When not actively retrieving the Retrieval Registrar is based in and rostered to 80 hours per fortnight in the Launceston General Hospital (LGH) Intensive Care Unit performing the duties of an ICU Registrar. (By negotiation Retrieval Registrars may also be based in the LGH Department of Emergency Medicine)
The LGH has a purpose-built Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with 11 fully staffed beds (expandable to 13). We are the major referral centre for North and North West Tasmania. We are accredited as a general training unit (C12 pre-2014) by CICM and for completion of the ICU requirement of training for both ACEM and ANZCA trainees. Time in our unit also counts a Rural Exposure for CICM. Our trainees gain exposure to a wide range of investigations, interventions, and procedures. Further information here
We also offer:
- A weekly teaching program including formal ICU teaching and ICU skills session
- Weekly echocardiography training
- A regular Journal Club
- Support for trainees preparing primary and fellowship exams
- A monthly Morbidity and Mortality meeting
- Research grants available
- Opportunities to complete rotations in Anaesthesia, Medicine and Emergency Medicine
- Rotations to related specialities or participation in the Tasmanian Aeromedical and Retrieval Service can be arranged for suitably experienced applicants
Hours/Period of Appointment
Fixed term, full time, day working 80 hours per fortnight to commence from 7 FEBRUARY 2022 until 5 FEBRUARY 2023. Notwithstanding hours may be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Medical Practitioner Level 5 - 11 $89,649 - $126,854 per annum
The Retrieval Registrar is responsible for the retrieval and commencement of management of critically unwell patients and the provision of high-quality care when transporting inpatient and outpatients between sites of service delivery in a partnership with the patient, their family and other health professionals.
- Actively participate in an in-hours and out-of-hours (24 hour) on-call aeromedical and/or ambulance retrieval roster and retrieval related activities as directed. A minimum 80-hour fortnight roster will include allocation to supported inpatient roles pending retrieval call-out.
- Directly responsible to the Retrieval Consultant, when on duty, for the management of patients.
- Under the supervision of the relevant specialist consultant/s, responsible for the day-to-day clinical assessment and management of patients within their designated clinical unit when not involved in retrieval activities.
- Accurate, comprehensive and contemporaneous recording in the medical record including daily handover sheets and data sheets.
- Provide Discharge Summary compliant with THS policy (or the appropriate standards) to ensure safe clinical handover to community-based care providers.
- Appropriate to the level of training and in discussion with the relevant consultant, manage independently or semi-independently clinical procedures.
- Involvement in Quality Assurance activities.
- Supervision of Residents, Interns and Medical Students.
Location: Launceston General Hospital - Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- General or limited registration with the Medical Board of Australia
- Refer to SoD for further essential requirements
- The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
1. Conviction checks in the following areas:
a) Crimes of Violence
b) Sex Related Offences
c) Serious Drug Offences
d) Crimes involving dishonesty
2. Identification check
3. Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
- MBBS (or equivalent) with at least 3 years of postgraduate experience
- General Registration with AHPRA
- Capable of independently managing critically ill airways and transporting critically ill patients independently with support from a Retrieval Consultant over the phone.
Download the Statement of Duties and Associated Documents
Generic Registrar - Retrieval (LGH) MP5-11 (May 2021).pdf
Generic Registrar - Retrieval (LGH) MP5-11 (May 2021).docx
THS Jobs Website Applicant Guide.pdf
THS Jobs Website Applicant Guide.docx
How to apply
Online applications are preferred, please click the blue Apply Now button. If you apply online please do not send a hard copy application as well.
Complete the following application form and email your application to the listed contact person including the below form:
Application for Employment (PDF).pdf
Application for Employment (Word).docx
Post your application with the above application form to:
Tasmanian Health Service
Human Resources and Organisational Development
PO Box 1963
LAUNCESTON TAS 7250
In order to be considered for this position it is a requirement that you address the selection criteria which are located in the Statement of Duties.
For more information
Dr Ashley Crosswell
ICU Staff Specialist
(03) 6777 6578
Better health and quality of life around Tasmania. Visit us at www.ths.tas.gov.au
Back to search results Apply now