Position: Assistant Professor of Information Systems
Effective Date: August 17, 2023 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Application Deadline: Review of applications to begin August 1, 2022. Position will remain open until filled (or recruitment canceled).
College of Business
Department of Information Systems
The Department of Information Systems in the College of Business, at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) invites applications for the tenure track Assistant Professor position to start in Fall 2023. This announcement is targeted toward growth in areas of Business Analytics and Quantitative Methods.
We seek individuals who can provide strong, dynamic, and innovative initiatives to advance excellence in teaching, research, and service to the professional community. The position calls for energetic individuals who will engage in classroom teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the areas of Business Analytics and Quantitative Methods.
- Ph.D. in a relevant area of business from a business school with the AACSB international accreditation. Degree at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree is required by August 1, 2023.
- Demonstrated potential to teach effectively at the undergraduate and graduate levels in one or more of the following areas: Business Analytics, Quantitative Methods in Decision Making, Business Statistics
- Demonstrated potential for research, scholarly and creative activities leading to publications
- Demonstrated potential for curriculum development
- Demonstrated commitment to service contributions to the department, college, university, and community
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population
Notice: Candidates with a doctorate degree in an appropriate field of Engineering or Science will be considered and are encouraged to apply.
- Teaching experience at the college level
- Published research in the field
- Demonstrated potential to develop and expand relationships across the university’s surrounding community and the industry
- Professional experience
- Experience in teaching and mentoring students from historically marginalized communities
- Experience of successfully working with populations demographically and socioeconomically similar to the CSULB student body (demographics)
- Teach undergraduate and graduate level courses. [Mode of instruction may include in-person, hybrid, online, and/or any combination thereof. In 2023-2024, the department anticipates that the normal mode of instruction will be in-person.]
- Engage in research, scholarly and creative activities leading to presentations and publications
- Participate in curriculum and program development and keep content current
- Participate in service to the department, college, university, and the community
About the Department
The Department of Information Systems is a department comprised of tenured/ tenure-track faculty, full-time lecturers, and adjunct instructors who collaborate with each other to serve the students of CSULB by offering information systems, quantitative methods and business communication courses. Our mission is to educate capable professionals who can effectively develop, manage, and enhance business information systems for better operations and decision making. A successful information system student must excel in both in-depth understanding of business context, and solid technical abilities.
About the College of Business
The College of Business is a leading, dynamic urban college serving Orange County and south Los Angeles County. Business is one of the most popular fields of study on campus. Accredited since 1971 at both the undergraduate and graduate levels by AACSB International, the College of Business has approximately 4,500 undergraduate majors, over 300 graduate students in eight masters’ programs, and a network of 53,000 graduates since its inception. We focus on providing a high-quality learning and research environment and preparing our diverse student body to excel in a global economy.
How to Apply – Required Documentation
- An Equity and Diversity Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (maximum two pages, single-spaced). For further information and guidelines, please visit: http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement
- Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications
- Teaching Statement describing teaching philosophy and qualifications
- Research Statement describing current research and future areas of research
- Sample of journal and conference papers published or accepted for publication, if available (no more than 2)
- Student evaluations and evidence of teaching effectiveness (i.e., course syllabi, samples of student work), if available.
- Three references (to be contacted for confidential letters of recommendation should you reach the finalist stage)
- Finalists should be prepared to submit an official transcript (e-transcript preferred, if available)
How to Apply: Please submit required documentation and complete the CSULB online application by clicking “Apply Now” icon or click here (you can also copy and paste this link to your browser). Note: A few of the search committee members will be present at AMCIS 2022 and INFORMS Annual Meeting 2022.
Requests for information should be addressed to:
Dr. Banafsheh Behzad, Search Committee Chair
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Information Systems
Attn: Gordon Thompson
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-8506
562-985-4993 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race or ethnicity (including color or ancestry), nationality, religion or religious creed, gender (or sex), gender identity (including transgender), gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran or military status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.