- Based at our Burwood or Waurn Ponds Campus
- Full-time (36.75 hours per week) and Continuing
- Level D $147,525 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Associate Professor will provide outstanding leadership in research, teaching and engagement in the area of Cyber Risk and Policy. You will actively promote the Cyber Security discipline and School of Information Technology within the academic and professional communities in Australia and internationally. The role will also contribute to leadership of the School’s teaching, research, and industry engagement program development and service at national and international levels.
Your key responsibilities will include the requirement to:
- Integrate industry and research practice to inform unit and course design across the discipline within the University
- Continually seek to improve academic standards and make a distinguished contribution to teaching and educational innovation in the University
- Provide leadership in curriculum development, course design, and innovation in teaching, including the provision of feedback and more general mentoring, taking account of national and international developments
- Guide and assist less experienced colleagues to develop their teaching capacity and more generally in developing the careers of these junior staff
- Lead review of units and courses across disciplines within the University and leads refinements
- Lead the development and coordinated integration of innovative teaching practices across disciplines within the University
- Lead and develop productive, high-quality research teams to undertake significant research programs, scholarship and creative activities generating high impact outputs
- Provide leadership in their discipline, fostering the research, scholarship and innovation of other individuals and groups within their School, Strategic Research Centre (SRC) or Institute, their discipline, and related disciplines.
- Develop and lead academic or other collaborations that enable novel research or creative activities recognised nationally and internationally
- Widely communicates outputs to discipline(s), other sectors and the community, including nationally and internationally
To be successful, you’ll have:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline
- Distinguished scholarly learning and teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate programs, including innovative curriculum design and supervision to doctoral level
- Internationally recognised research reputation underpinned by publications in high quality journals and conferences
- Success in obtaining, and timely completion of, competitive external research grants
- Successful engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the national and international standing of the discipline
- Demonstrated success and passion for leadership of teaching, research and/or administration
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD Associate Professor, Cyber Risk and Policy.pdf
Applications for this position close on 28 June 2022.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions.
Offers of employment for this role at Deakin University are conditional upon the applicant being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory evidence of the same. You can view a copy of the University’s COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure.
- This role requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a Working With Children Check (refer to Deakin’s Recruitment Procedure for further details)
- Infrequent travel will be required (e.g., interstate or overseas travel is required or regular travel within Victoria, not including between campuses)
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
To arrange a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact John Yearwood, Head of School via email@example.com or +61 3 924 68727.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.