Job no: 516031
Work type: Casual, Full time, Part time
Location: Cairns Private Hospital
Categories: HIM/Clinical Coder/Medical Records
We are seeking an experienced Clinical Coder to join our team in this Permanent Full Time Position at Cairns Private Hospital
About the Role
We are seeking experienced Clinical Coders to join our team at Cairns Private Hospital. The position is permanent full time, on site at Cairns Private Hospital, and will involve coding principally from paper records.
As a Clinical Coder you will be responsible for ensuring timely and accurate abstraction and assignment of inpatient episodes. The diagnosis and procedure codes for inpatient episodes of care are assigned in accordance with the current standards and guidelines.
Duties and responsibilities involve but are not limited to:
- Effectively following-up information that is absent in the medical record or documentation that is ambiguous, requiring further qualification to identify the highest specificity
- Liaising with clinical and administrative staff to obtain accurate information to facilitate coding
- Participate in patient reporting system and data transmission activities as required
- Participate in regular continuing professional education
To be successful in this role, you will work effectively both within a team environment and independently as required. Your ability to maintain positive relationships and strong communication networks with all stakeholders and departments, ensuring all quality outcomes are achieved, is crucial for this role. You will also have the following criteria:
- Clinical Coding Qualifications from Health Information Management Association of Australia (HIMAA) [minimum certificate 4] or Associate Diploma or Bachelor of Health Information Management;
- Minimum 2 years of coding experience
- Sound and updated knowledge of ICD-10-AM 11th Edition and Australian Coding Standards;
- Sound and updated knowledge of Medical Science and Medical Terminology;
- Knowledge and understanding of DRG and Casemix;
- Knowledge and understanding of current Privacy legislation;
- Ability to liaise with clinicians and hospital staff about coding and documentation requirements;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills; and
- Proven commitment to team work.
- Previous experience working in a Private Hospital environment
- Previous experience using MEDITECH.
Advanced and Senior Codes are encouraged to apply!
Will be based on current award dependent on level of qualifications and work experience in the coding field
Cairns is a thriving tourist town with opportunities for numerous leisure pursuits in close proximity. There is a lively night scene with access to live theatre, concerts and the arts. The lifestyle is casual, built around the outdoors. Both JCU and CQU Universities have a campus in the city and there is access to numerous high-quality public and private schools. Beachside or inner-city living are both available options. Wherever you choose to live, the drive to work will be short and scenic.
Cairns Private Hospital is in tropical Cairns, in far north Queensland. The hospital is a modern, well-equipped facility which offers a comprehensive range of medical and allied services. Cairns Private Hospital is committed to the provision of first-class medical care for the people of the region and the thousands of tourists who visit the area.
The hospital is owned and operated by Ramsay Health Care, a global operator of private hospitals and primary care clinics with 72 Australian sites employing over 30,000 people. We have been focused on delivering high-quality patient care and practising the Ramsay Way philosophy of ‘People Caring for People’ since 1972. Benefits of working with us include;
- Professional Development – Grow your career across our national network!
- Extensive Employee assistance program
- Industry discounts across private health insurance, retail services, financial services and more.
To ensure the quality and safety for our patients, staff and visitors, applicants will be required to provide before commencement a National Police Check and proof of immunity to infectious diseases.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity please contact Carol Roughsedge, Health Information Manager at email@example.com
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend