Postdoctoral Associate in Forest Biometrics
Job no: 515363
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Natural Resources
Department: For Resources & Environ Consrv
Location: Other - U.S.
Categories: Other, Research / Scientific, Natural Resources
The employee will serve as a Postdoctoral Associate in the Forest Modeling Research Cooperative (FMRC), a research center in the Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation at Virginia Tech. Duties will include assisting with measurements of research plots, compiling and analyzing data, preparing reports for members of the FMRC, and writing manuscripts for publication in academic journals.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Providing data management and analytical support for ongoing research projects of the FMRC
• Responding to requests from FMRC members for assistance with accessing and using the cooperative’s data bases, applying the FMRC forest growth models, and interpreting analytical results from the data
• Aiding graduate research assistants in the FMRC with data management and analysis support needed for their thesis projects
• Disseminating research results, with emphasis on peer-reviewed literature
• Participating in FMRC meetings and work shops
• Presenting research results at professional meetings and conferences
• Completing additional tasks that may be assigned
This position is funded for a minimum of one year with a preferred starting date of on or before June 1, 2021. Continuation of the position for a second year is dependent on demonstrated success and availability of funding.
• Ph.D. in forest biometrics, awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
• Basic knowledge of forest measurements
• Demonstrated experience in data analysis and statistics.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience in field-based research
• Undergraduate degree in forestry
Commensurate with experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Mary Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend