Job no: 515636
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Veterinary Medicine
Department: Biomedical Science
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Research / Scientific
We believe that we can reduce global disease burden through innovative and multidisciplinary biomedical research. In particular, a major unanswered question we are pursuing is what are the immunological mechanisms driving worse disease outcomes observed in obese people following many viral infections? We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic postdoc to lead these studies. The ideal candidate will have a strong curiosity to learn and understand biological systems. Furthermore, the qualified candidate will have a solid conceptual understanding of immunology and experience with flow cytometry from mouse or human samples. A positive attitude and a willingness to face uncomfortable situations with the goal of learning are crucial to success in this position. The PI will work directly with the candidate and seek to help the candidate develop their career in the trajectory that best suits their interests. Finally, the VG-HI lab values diversity and inclusion, and candidates from all backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
Duties will involve performing in vitro and animal procedures and training in BSL2 and BSL3 labs. Responsibilities also include data analysis, report and manuscript preparation, and compliance with all safety regulations. Finally, the candidate is expected to train and assist graduate and undergraduate students in their experiments in collaborative projects.
• Successful completion of a Ph.D. in Immunology, Virology, Microbiology or a closely related field
• Humility: The desire to constantly learn and take feedback from everyone.
• Leadership: The desire to lead and complete projects and take ownership of successes and failures.
• Teamwork: The desire to work closely with teammates towards the overall goal of the lab.
• Initiative: Someone who strongly favors action over inaction.
• Experienced with complex flow cytometry assays from in vivo systems.
• Possess molecular and protein biology skills, including experience with RT-qPCR, western blotting, DNA/RNA extractions, plasmid prep, luciferase/luminescence assays, and transfections.
• In-depth knowledge of the regulations, policies, guidelines, and issues surrounding animal technical procedures
• Substantial experience independently organizing and conducting complex procedures and experiments with minimal supervision
• Should be enthusiastic and dedicated, have the ability and interest in learning new techniques
• Prior experience working with viruses
• Experienced in ELISPOT, ELISA, and immunocytochemical staining assays
• Prior experience working with and breeding transgenic mice
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact James Weger at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend