Associate Director, Marketing and Communications
Job no: 516060
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Virginia Tech Transportation Instit
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Communications / Public Relations / Marketing
The Associate Director of Marketing and Communications will oversee and develop the strategic communications and marketing plans for VTTI in alignment with university communications, marketing, and branding initiatives. The Associate Director will have a strong record of progressive experience in today’s communications fields and must be able to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. This position reports to VTTI’s Director of Advancement, Partnerships, and Outreach to assist in coordinating activities surrounding research, strategic communications initiatives, and marketing. The position receives guidance also from the Director of Marketing and Communications for Research and Innovation. This position serves as the primary liaison for media relations in coordination with the university media relations team and other public relations-related tasks. The Associate Director is also the primary manager of employees or vendors who assist with graphic design, web design, and other communication and marketing tasks.
The Associate Director will independently plan, schedule, conduct, and/or coordinate detailed tasks as part of major transportation safety initiatives that includes planning, executing, and evaluating a comprehensive communications program for VTTI along with the Institute’s internal and external stakeholders.
The Associate Director will interact with sponsors, prepare high-visibility reports, assist in proposal development, and prepare results for presentation. They will also serve as the dedicated writer and editor for strategic communications and literary endeavors involving division directors and the executive director. This will include ensuring core messaging in all content; coordinating marketing publications and other activities (electronic and hard copy) intended to foster existing relationships and build new customer bases; preparing presentations for delivery by division directors and the executive director to national and international audiences; and other executive communications as needed, including blogs and annual reports.
The Associate Director will work with researchers to develop visual displays and demonstrations illustrating VTTI's research capabilities and accomplishments to exhibit at national meetings, state events, and Institute functions. They will collaborate and network with colleagues from university relations to enhance the reputation of and build campus support for VTTI.
Master's degree or equivalent experience combined with a Bachelor's degree, in marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, or other related field
• Broad background in communications with a strong record of experience in contemporary communications fields
• Experience with and understanding of effective public relations and digital communications, including website strategy, email, and social media platforms
• Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic marketing and communication plans
• Evidence of strong writing, editing, AP style writing, interpersonal, content strategy, presentation, and marketing skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in using word processing, image processing, content management systems, CRMs, communication analytics, and social networking tools in communications or marketing programs
• Understanding of effective graphic design, branding principles, and the use of Internet and social media platforms as means of communication
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and competing priorities and to take initiative in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a team of colleagues and serve as a representative of the division
• Demonstrated leadership and significant experience in forming and supervising a cohesive team of professionals
• Ability to work under pressure of deadlines
• Ability to handle and prioritize tasks while maintaining strong attention to detail
• Experience with project management, effective assignment delegation, and exceptional follow-through
• Demonstrated sensitivity to issues surrounding diversity and inclusive language
• If selected for interview, must provide three best writing samples and if applicable, an online communications/marketing portfolio
• Experience working in a higher education setting
• Experience writing proposals
• Understanding of marketing and communications trends impacting transportation
• Video/photography skills
• Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud software (specifically InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere), and Content Management Systems
• Experience in conceptualization and writing of fact-based documents
• Understanding of accessibility in communications
Commensurate with experience
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisa Eichelberger at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend