Job no: 516907
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Virginia Tech Transportation Instit
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Research / Scientific, Transportation
The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) is seeking a Safety Manager. The position is responsible for facilitating a safety culture at VTTI and developing and implementing a comprehensive safety program that covers garage, office, and test track environments, including large pavement machine and ground vehicle operations. The successful candidate will be knowledgeable of applicable environmental health and safety requirements and be capable of conducting hazard inspections, audits, analysis, training, and record keeping in compliance with federal and state regulations and guidelines. The successful candidate must be able to develop and facilitate solutions that engineer/design out hazards first and use administrative controls as a last resort to further protect employees, staff, and visitors to VTTI. The successful candidate will also be able to develop custom safety plans for specific research projects in coordination with researchers. This role requires strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, and written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced degree in safety engineering, safety, or related field or lesser degree with significant professional experience.
- Proficiency in well-established hazard analysis techniques such as failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA), fault tree analysis (FTA), and hazard and operability analysis (HAZOP).
- Experience with system engineering processes and hazard analysis techniques is required to provide safety oversight to the development of safe prototype vehicles and associated test protocols.
- Working knowledge of the technical principles, procedures, and techniques used to achieve compliance with OSHA safety-related regulations and University policy in assigned program areas.
- Experience with inspecting, and implementing OSHA regulations, and implementing safety and health programs.
- Demonstrated experience writing and compiling standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Ability to act independently and as a team member.
- Experience preparing technical reports and professional correspondence.
- Experience with current operating systems, office software packages, and related software.
- Certified Safety Professional or ability to obtain that designation within one year.
- Demonstrated experience in ISO programs and certification process.
- Experience with functional safety (ISO 26262), Safety of the Intended Functionality (SOTIF), and/or systems-theoretic process analysis (STPA).
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisa Eichelberger at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend