Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 519067
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Agriculture & Life Sciences
Department: Eastern Virginia AREC
Location: Warsaw, Virginia
Categories: Agriculture / Life Science
We are seeking a motivated and innovative individual to serve on staff at the Eastern Virginia Agricultural Research and Extension Center in Warsaw, VA. The individual will be expected to perform a wide variety of tasks at the center including being the primary equipment operator, equipment mechanical work, field and laboratory data collection, and upkeep of center grounds. Other responsibilities include record keeping and database management. Experience in farm equipment operation and equipment maintenance are a must. Skills in organization, problem solving, and an eagerness to learn new systems are necessary for success in this position. Good communication with the superintendent and other faculty members will enable the individual to succeed.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of farm equipment operation and possess the skills to operate them properly and safely
- Possess the skills to properly maintain and repair research equipment and farm machinery promptly
- A current commercial pesticide applicators license (or the ability to achieve one)
- A demonstrated ability to read and interpret pesticide labels, including basic mathematical knowledge
- An ability to use modern forms of communication and data collection, such as email, text message, tablets, and smart phones
- Individual may be required to work flexible hours during busy times throughout the year; will be required to work around dust, fumes, heat, and adverse weather conditions; must be able to lift and carry heavy objects; and other strenuous tasks for long periods of time
- Experience working in an agricultural research program, operating small plot equipment, field research data collection, etc.
- Experience operating GPS-equipped farm equipment
- Experience in agronomic row crops and farming practices
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Joseph Oakes at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend