Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 521512
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Facilities Operations
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades, Other
Trades Mechanic: Assist with and learn (through online or classroom education and on-the-job training) to become proficient in the performance of tasks in the building trades (carpentry, masonry, and painting) in support of building maintenance on the VT campus. The Apprenticeship program is registered with the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry. The program is a four-year program with a combination of online/classroom education and on-the-job training. With successful completion of the program, the employee will qualify for a Trades Tech III level Trades Mechanic position. Schedule is M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Quarry Apprentice: Virginia Tech operates its own federally certified stone quarries. Hokie stone comes from the quarries a couple of miles from the central campus. The successful candidate will support the operation of the University Quarry by training for and performing all aspects of the Quarry operation. Schedule is M-F 7:00am - 3:30pm.
Weekend Preventative Maintenance: Incumbent will assist with and learn to become proficient in the performance of the Electrical and Mechanical trades (Plumbing, Steam fitting, HVAC, and Maintenance Millwright) in support of building maintenance/installation on the VT campus. Incumbent will work on Mondays and Fridays as part of the Facilities Preventative Maintenance Shop and come together with other weekend shift employees on Saturday and Sunday for weekend coverage. Incumbent will be required to complete two Apprenticeships (Plumbing/Electrical) and obtain a Minimum Journeyman level Plumbing and Electrical license through DPOR upon completion of each program. Incumbent will complete the Plumbing Apprentice program first, followed by the Electrical program. This will take a minimum of 6 years but could be extended to 8 if circumstances dictate that need. Upon completion of apprenticeship, incumbent will be required to go on rotating call back list for emergency responses. Must successfully achieve a minimum of a Bronze rating on WorkKeys assessment through New River Community College. Schedule is F-M 6:00am - 4:30pm.
Plumber Steamfitter - 2nd Shift: Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor Second Shift, the Plumber Steamfitter apprentice works as part of a multi-trade team performing preventative, scheduled and emergency maintenance on a wide range of electrical and mechanical systems. Area of focus will be performance of tasks in the mechanical trades (Plumbing, Steam fitting, HVAC, and Maintenance Millwright) in support of building maintenance/installation on the VT campus. Schedule is M-F 3:30pm-12:00am.
• Must have a valid Virginia Driver’s License or be able to obtain a valid license within 6 months of employment. Will be required to operate a motor vehicle daily once licensed.
• Must successfully achieve a minimum of a Bronze rating on WorkKeys assessment.
• Must have the ability to take classes online and complete specified course work, independently and on schedule.
• Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more; maneuver materials up and down stairs; climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, and pushing/pulling.
• Must be able to communicate effectively, have good team work skills, and be able to understand, comprehend and follow directions in the workplace.
• Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
• May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
• This is a designated emergency personnel position and employee must report during emergency and inclement weather situations.
• Must maintain and meet the requirements of the Apprenticeship Program Agreement. Must successfully complete related instruction for apprenticeship via online courses, independent study or other various means. Related instruction will be performed on the incumbents own time, outside of normal working hours.
• Previous experience in a large commercial or educational setting.
• Previous experience/education related to position.
Regular & Restricted
Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more; ability to maneuver materials up and down stairs; ability to climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; ability to work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling. Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures. Must have a criminal background check. Must have a driver's license check. Emergency Personnel health & safety related Normal Work schedule varies based on the position. Must have health and safety medical check. Must be able to use a respirator.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend