Plumber/Steamfitter - Rounding
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 524391
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Facilities Operations
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades, Other
Reporting to the Preventative Maintenance Supervisor, the Plumber/Steamfitter is responsible for performing a wide variety of tasks in the mechanical trades which will include plumbing, steam-fitting, HVAC, and maintenance millwright in support of building maintenance on the VT campus. Assists building and electrical trades staff as requested.
• Must have or be able to obtain a Journeyman’s or Masters license in plumbing, steam-fitting, HVAC, maintenance millwright, or all four trades within eleven months of hire date; OR current Journey or Master level licensing agreement (reciprocity) from another\jurisdiction as approved by the Virginia Board for Contractors.
• Incumbent will have 6 months from hire date to acquire a Virginia license if they currently hold a license from a reciprocal jurisdiction.
• Working knowledge of a variety of technical documents such as blueprints, technical drawings, sketches, specification records, and operating and maintenance manuals.
• Record keeping experience such as processing work orders and/or tracking inventory.
• Will be required to operate a motor vehicle daily.
• Must have a valid drivers license.
• Candidate should be able to perform routine Plumbing/Mechanical tasks.
• Ability to recognize and understand industry terminologies of multiple trades.
• Ability to use a computer, keep accurate and complete records.
• Ability to perform work with minimal margin of error and work independently with little or no supervision.
• Ability to communicate effectively, work as a effective team member, and must have the ability to receive and execute instructions from the immediate supervisor and/or lead worker.
• Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more; ability to maneuver materials up and down stairs; ability to climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; ability to work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling.
• Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
• This position is designated as "Emergency Personnel."
• May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
• Must have health and safety medical check.
• Must be able to use a respirator.
• Maintenance experience with Plumbing/HVAC systems in a large commercial or institutional setting.
• Good working knowledge of HVAC control systems.
• Experience in a computerized work order/inventory management system.
• Current Virginia Journey or Master level license in either Plumbing or HVAC trade.
Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more; ability to maneuver materials up and down stairs; ability to climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; ability to work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling.
Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
Must have a criminal background check. Must have a driver's license check.
Emergency Personnel weather related.
Emergency Personnel facilities related.
May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
Normal Work schedule: Monday-Friday, 7:00am-3:30pm
Must have health and safety medical check.
Must be able to use a respirator.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend