Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 526918
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Export & Secure Research Compliance
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Virginia Tech’s Office of Export and Secure Research Compliance (OESRC) seeks an experienced System Administrator with a background in NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) or CMMC (Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification) to join its dynamic team of information technology and security professional. Reporting to the IT Manager, the System Administrator will be responsible for the day-to-day management, maintenance, and security of the organization's systems and networks, ensuring they operate efficiently and securely in accordance with NIST or CMMC guidelines. This position be expected to work collegially and collaboratively among team members as well as internal stakeholders.
This position and work location is located in the Virginia Tech Research Center in Arlington, VA, and is not eligible for remote work. Due to the nature of the work, the position is restricted to U.S. Citizens.
- Administer, monitor, and maintain our organization's systems and networks to ensure optimal performance and uptime.
- Conduct regular system assessments and audits to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and compliance gaps, and develop strategies to mitigate them.
- Provide technical support and guidance to end-users, ensuring their needs are addressed promptly and effectively.
- Assist in planning and implementing system upgrades and migrations while minimizing disruptions to operations.
- Perform Duties as required by the Risk Management Framework (RMF) to ensure systems are developed and maintained to be compliant with the applicable System Security Plans (SSPs) and to acquire and maintain authority to operate (ATO) for each system.
- Develop and maintain system documentation, including standard operating procedures and system configurations, in compliance with NIST or CMMC guidelines.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to troubleshoot and resolve system and network issues in a timely manner.
- Provide assistance to the FSO and AFSO for physical and personnel security functions.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- Proven work experience as a System Administrator, preferably with experience in NIST or CMMC environments.
- Proficient in Windows and/or Linux server administration.
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies (e.g., VMware, Hyper-V).
- Solid knowledge of networking protocols, including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, and VPN.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and end-users.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top-Secret Clearance with SCI eligibility and Counterintelligence (CI) or full-scope Polygraph.
- Active Top Secret (TS) clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
- Strong understanding of NIST Special Publications (e.g., SP 800-53, SP 800-171) or CMMC framework.
- Experience in implementing and managing security controls, such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and access controls.
- Relevant certifications, such as CompTIA Security+ or CISSP are highly desirable.
Due to the nature of the work, position is restricted to US Citizens. The successful candidate must have the ability to obtain and maintain a Top-Secret Clearance with SCI eligibility and Counterintelligence (CI) or full-scope Polygraph.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kaitlin Winfree at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend