The School of Visual Arts (SOVA) at Virginia Tech (https://www.sova.vt.edu) invites applications for two full-time, tenure-track faculty positions in Graphic Design, with a start date of August, 2024. The ideal hires will complement the current faculty within the Graphic Design program in the areas of expertise, research focus, and teaching qualifications. We seek applicants who have expertise that align with the future of graphic design, marked by a deep integration of technology, focusing on enhancing user experience in various digital realms, such as AR, VR, AI, motion, and web.
SOVA is housed within the College of Architecture, Arts, and Design (AAD) at Virginia Tech, a comprehensive land grant research university in Blacksburg, Virginia. SOVA has approximately 275 undergraduate majors within four areas (Graphic Design, Creative Technologies, Studio Art and Art History). The Graphic Design program currently has approximately 90 majors and has been included in GDUSA’s list of “Top 30 Graphic Design Schools'' for each of the last five years. Virginia Tech is home to one of the largest Swiss poster collections in the Americas, due to the generous donation by the designers Dennis Ichiyama and Oscar Fernández.
Duties and responsibilities of the position include:
• Teach two undergraduate courses per semester, from introductory to advanced levels of Graphic Design (and possibly teaching occasional non-majors, foundations, and graduate courses)
• Maintain a strong national/international creative research agenda
• Maintain an up-to-date proficiency with digital tools and software as they relate to teaching and creative research in design (e.g. Adobe Creative Cloud, Figma)
• Stay abreast of cutting-edge design practices, theories, ethics, AI integration, experience design, accessibility, etc., as well as advancements in design education
• Contribute to the growth of our program and school through active participation in a collaborative, cross-disciplinary work environment
• Contribute to school, college, and university-level service and outreach
• Contribute to curriculum development in the Graphic Design program
The College of Architecture, Arts, and Design at Virginia Tech affirms our collective responsibility to encourage, build, and embrace the polyculturalism of our world. We do this by acknowledging and addressing our past, recognizing our current responsibility, and acting in the interests of building and sustaining communities that are truly safe, supportive, and inclusive for all. Our commitment is to continually and proactively engage in these processes for the benefit of our students, staff, and faculty across the college, and the communities around the world we aim to serve.