Associate Dean for Research & Creative Scholarship
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527067
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Architecture, Arts, and Design
Department: Dean - Architecture
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Executive / Director / Management, Instructional / Teaching Faculty, Research / Scientific
Virginia Tech is a renowned public research university located in Blacksburg, Virginia. With a commitment to innovation, excellence, and a collaborative spirit, the university has a distinguished reputation for fostering an inclusive and diverse learning environment.
The College of Architecture, Arts, and Design (AAD)—comprised of the School of Architecture, the School of Design, the School of Performing Arts, and the School of Visual Arts—launched in July 2022. Among its core values is a commitment to curiosity, inquiry, and exploration through research and creative scholarship.
The college invites applications for the inaugural position of Associate Dean of Research and Creative Scholarship. The associate dean will be integral to developing AAD’s diverse research areas. Reporting to the dean, they will, in consultation with the faculty community, help to cultivate the culture and infrastructure required to advance the college's research and creative endeavors by providing strategic leadership and fostering interdisciplinary collaboration within the college and beyond.
The college seeks a visionary, collaborative leader who embraces and thrives in a start-up environment of a new college composed of accomplished, award-winning architects, artists, and designers. Primary responsibilities and expectations of this position include:
Strategic Leadership: Develop and implement a visionary strategy for research and creative scholarship within the college by building upon existing strengths and identifying new opportunities. Align the college's research goals with Virginia Tech’s overall mission and the strategic priorities of both the university and the college.
Interdisciplinary Collaboration: Facilitate cross-disciplinary collaboration among faculty, students, and external partners to promote innovative research and creative initiatives that address complex challenges.
Research Support: Provide leadership in securing external funding, grants, and resources to support research and creative projects within the college. Offer guidance and mentorship to faculty and students.
Promotion of Scholarship: Advocate for the college's distinctive research and creative scholarship achievements, both within the university and on a national and international level. Enhance the visibility and impact of the college's scholarly work.
Faculty Development: Collaborate with faculty and leadership to identify opportunities for professional growth, research collaboration, and creative exploration. Support the development of research-focused initiatives that contribute to faculty success.
Student Engagement: Create opportunities for students to engage collaboratively with faculty in research and creative scholarship, fostering a culture of inquiry, exploration, and innovation among the college’s student community.
Administrative Management: Collaborate with other college leaders to ensure effective management of resources and operations related to research and creative scholarship initiatives.
While the priority of the position will be to provide strategic leadership and foster interdisciplinary collaboration, it is expected that the successful candidate’s own research and/or creative scholarship will enhance the college's community and external profile.
The College of Architecture, Arts, and Design at Virginia Tech affirms our collective responsibility to encourage, build, and embrace the polyculturalism of our world. We do this by acknowledging and addressing our past, recognizing our current responsibility, and acting in the interests of building and sustaining communities that are truly safe, supportive, and inclusive for all. Our commitment is to continually and proactively engage in these processes for the benefit of our students, staff, and faculty across the college, and the communities around the world we aim to serve.
• Possession of a terminal degree in a discipline relevant to the college's fields of study
• Proven record of research or creative scholarship that demonstrates expertise in a relevant discipline and accomplishments qualifying them for appointment at the rank of tenured professor in one of the college’s four schools.
• Demonstrated experience in academic leadership, research administration, or related roles within higher education.
• Success with securing external funding in at least one the disciplines represented in the college
• Proven ability to foster collaboration and interdisciplinary research within a diverse academic community
• A strategic and innovative mindset that aligns with the evolving landscape of research and creative scholarship.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively engage with internal and external stakeholders.
• A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in research, scholarship, and education.
Required Application Materials
- Full length curriculum vitae
- Application letter describing interests in the role, and addressing why the applicant is well-qualified for the position (not to exceed 4 pages)
- A one-page personal statement of leadership philosophy including the candidate's ideas for supporting an equitable and inclusive research and creative scholarship environment consistent with the Virginia Tech Principles of Community. Specific examples of experiences, activities, and plans will help us identify candidates who can support our college’s aim to sustain an equitable climate and extend Virginia Tech’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Names of a minimum of four references (will not be contacted without applicant's permission)
Shortlisted candidates may be asked to provide additional materials
Commensurate with experience
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
The initial appointment is for a 5-year term with the opportunity for renewal. The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend