Instructor, Industrial Design
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527598
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: Architecture, Arts, and Design
Department: School of Design
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Architecture / Construction / Planning, Visual Arts/Design/Creative Technologies
The School of Design at Virginia Tech (https://www.design.vt.edu) invites applications for a full-time, two-year instructor position in Industrial Design, effective January 2024. The successful candidates will have a Master’s degree in Industrial Design or related discipline and a proven ability to teach at a university. Duties of each position include teaching a 2/2 course load of core Industrial Design courses and elective courses. Current topics of interest are history of design, visual communication, UX/UI; most courses can be categorized into theory, design competencies, professional practice, and studio based courses. Individuals appointed as an instructor are focused on undergraduate education, with minimal or no expectation for development of an independent program of research or scholarship. Additional responsibilities may include advising students, developing or revising curricula or courses, and other instructional duties.
The School of Design joins the School of Architecture, the School of Visual Arts, and the School of Performing Arts in comprising the College of Architecture, Arts, and Design (AAD) which launched in July 2022. Industrial Design has approximately 140 undergraduate majors and 8 faculty. Programmatic goals include a focus on environmental stewardship, health and wellness, technology and advanced manufacturing, equity, and community service. In this search we seek a colleague to help diversify perspectives on the design of products, systems, and services that will define our global future.
The College of Architecture, Arts, and Design at Virginia Tech affirms our collective responsibility to encourage, build, and embrace the polyculturalism of our world. We do this by acknowledging and addressing our past, recognizing our current responsibility, and acting in the interests of building and sustaining communities that are truly safe, supportive, and inclusive for all. Our commitment is to continually and proactively engage in these processes for the benefit of our students, staff, and faculty across the college, and the communities around the world we aim to serve.
• A terminal or professional degree (MS, MA, MFA, MDes) in Design or related area completed by the appointment start date
• Proven ability to teach Industrial Design courses and/or significant professional experience
• Demonstrated success in working with and promoting diversity and inclusion within an academic and/or professional environment
• A broad understanding of contemporary and traditional art and design practice and theory relating to Industrial Design
• A record of excellence in one or more of the following areas: history of design, visual communication, user experience, and studio based courses
The following items must be included in the application:
- Cover letter addressing candidate’s proven experience and potential capacity to fulfill the duties and meet the preferred and required qualifications as listed above
- Current CV
- A one-page personal statement of teaching philosophy including the candidate's ideas for supporting an equitable and inclusive educational environment consistent with the Virginia Tech Principles of Community. Specific examples of experiences, activities, and plans will help us identify candidates who can support our college’s aim to sustain an equitable climate and extend our University's commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Portfolio including 10-20 professional pieces.
- Optional: Student portfolio including 10-20 pieces
Salary range is $60,000 - $65,000 per year
December 1, 2023 - review of candidate submissions will commence on this date and continue until the position is filled
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend