Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527783
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Vice President for Student Affairs
Department: Facilities & Operations
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades, Other, Student Affairs / Services
Are attention to detail and purchasing skills in your job search?
As part of the Facilities and Operations department within Student Affairs at Virginia Tech, the purchasing specialist matches the needs of the technicians with various vendors or seeks out new, cost-effective options for supplying a large residential, dining, and student unions operation.
We’re currently searching for a Purchasing Specialist to join our Facilities and Operations team in Blacksburg, VA, in the operations area.
Here’s what you need to know about the role:
1) You’ll be joining the Facilities and Operations team; a department centered on maintaining a large portfolio of buildings and systems through the maintenance, housekeeping, project management, lock shop, and life safety areas.
2) You’ll be reporting to the Operations Manager, in a Regular twelve-month, university staff position.
3) You’ll be responsible for receiving technician orders, seeking appropriate purchases, and processing purchase requisitions to completion.
4) You’ll be offered a base compensation package along with a comprehensive benefits package which includes health insurance, paid leave, retirement, tuition assistance, VT discounts, and so much more!
• Previous extensive experience in purchasing in a high demand operation.
• Ability and experience negotiating and evaluating new products and suppliers.
• Experience with preparation of reports and spreadsheets, requisitions, invoices, and shipping logs. Demonstrated knowledge of computers and calculators.
• Experience with Windows, Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Demonstrated ability to read, write legibly, weigh, measure, and perform routine mathematical calculations.
• Ability to communicate effectively and be a team player. Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work for self to complete tasks in a timely manner and meet given deadlines.
• Knowledge of state and university purchasing procedures.
BS in Business or Operations Management
Salary $40,000 - $45,000 and commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as a driving check with a safe driving record.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sarah Schuster at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
About Student Affairs:
Student Affairs at Virginia Tech fosters a community where each student creates a customized experience to meet their goals. Building on our motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice our Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth. We are actively seeking people to join our community and help us prepare leaders for the world. Our people in Student Affairs are committed to student well-being and assuring that all students Experience VT by demonstrating, supporting, and operationalizing our Aspirations for Student Learning. If you are someone dedicated to ensuring student success, then we want you to consider being a part of our team!
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend