Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527801
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Fralin Biomedical Res. Institute
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Categories: Research / Scientific
The Addiction Recovery Research Center (ARRC), a research center at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC in Roanoke, VA, is dedicated to understanding and treating substance use disorders. ARRC is looking for a new Research Assistant to work primarily on NIH-funded research projects examining decision-making processes and interventions relevant to substance use, including tobacco, alcohol, and cocaine use. Typically, a Research Assistant supports a scientist in the performance of various recruitment, technical, and data collection activities for research or laboratory programs. This role will serve as part of the research team working collaboratively and independently to collect and organize human subject data for grant-funded research projects. Laboratory and research support responsibilities range from entry- to advanced-level.
The duties of the role will include, though may not be limited to the following:
• Making significant contributions to the projects assigned and the achievement of the project’s research goals.
• Recruiting and screening volunteers to participate in a range of research studies examining decision-making and substance use.
• Scheduling and confirming appointments for participant research study visits.
• Collecting and entering data from research participants per approved protocols, standard operating procedures, and experiment instructions.
• Administering assessments and structured interviews, collecting urine, saliva, and/or blood specimens, and performing on-site analyses during participant study visits, all according to research protocols.
• Research record keeping and participant payments.
• Maintenance of office and laboratory supplies inventory.
• Maintaining accurate and confidential records used for conducting and monitoring multiple studies.
• Conducting literature searches to gather background information for use by the Principal Investigator (PI) and other research team members in developing and evaluating research protocols and grant applications.
• Participating in research team meetings to report on research progress, improve data collection processes, assist with problem solving, and address protocol issues that arise during the course of research studies.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and/or experience with data management.
• Desire to succeed in a fast-paced research environment with numerous duties.
• Demonstrated attention to detail, organizational skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
• BA/BS in psychology, biology, neuroscience, or related field, and/or the equivalent level of training and experience.
• Demonstrated data collection and entry experience.
• Experience in one or more of the following research areas: psychology, addiction, neuroscience, or clinical trials.
• Experience with basic laboratory protocols including proper handling of subject specimens, data collection, participant recruitment, assessments, and data management.
• Proficiency with REDCap, Qualtrics, QuestionPro or similar survey tools and/or experience with statistical analysis.
• Experience with social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, etc.) to support research study participation and community engagement.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Shelton at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend