Assistant Director for Business Operations
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527882
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Agriculture & Life Sciences
Department: Biological Systems Engineering
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Business / Accounting / Finance, Agriculture / Life Science
The Assistant Director of Business Operations will provide leadership, strategic consultation, and business workflow for the Department of Biological Systems Engineering(BSE). The position will be responsible for the following:
• In collaboration with the department head, responsible for management, consultation and strategic application of all financial resources including salary budgets, operating and overhead funds, sponsored funding, VT Foundation accounts, payroll transactions, graduate assistantships and tuition scholarships.
• Assist in process redesign and streamlining to help department maximize resources.
• Ensure compliance with Virginia Tech, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS), and departmental policies and procedures related to finance and operations
• Provide long- and short-range strategic resource planning for BSE, including Partnership Incentive Based Budgeting (PIBB) forecasts and development of best practices.
• Provide enhanced reporting to elevate data-driven decisions within the department.
This position has a joint reporting relationship to the BSE department head and CALS’ Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration.
A successful Assistant Director of Business Operations:
Is energized by a dynamic environment: This position will work with multiple stakeholders at the department, college, and university level. Staying informed of the changing environment around policy and procedures and helping others navigate those systems is crucial. Working collaboratively and in a professional manner to streamline processes will be key.
Is able to manage, analyze, and summarize data: Attention to detail, consistency, and accuracy are critical elements to invoke confidence and trust. In addition to processing important transactions, position must be able to manage complex data from multiple systems and provide strategic advice and recommendations to leadership.
Is an effective communicator with a proactive approach: Professional written and verbal communications are critical, including the ability to design and develop financial reports that communicate information in a proactive manner that is clear to non-financial team members. Anticipating financial needs of stakeholders and developing effective ways to communicate that information is essential.
Understands and reinforces quality of service and compliance: This position must be able to provide consistent, high quality service to stakeholders and be seen as a subject matter expert in the areas of budget, finance, policy, and procedure. Position is focused on delivering positive outcomes for stakeholders, while balancing compliance-related issues.
Reinforces the importance of diversity and inclusion: The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the Department of Biological Systems Engineering values and seeks to advance diversity, equity and inclusion. The work of the Assistant Director of Business Operations must be aligned with these core values.
• Bachelor’s degree and professional training or experience
• Experience in a professional or academic setting, with financial/budget preparation and analyses.
• Strong computer skills, including reporting and analysis tools, and advanced knowledge of business solution software (e.g., spreadsheet, word processing, etc.)
• Advanced degree in related field of study
• Grants and contract experience.
• Experience with finance/Human Resource systems and databases.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Mr. Stephen J. Kleiber at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend