Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 522766
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Telecommunications Auxiliary
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia, Hybrid
Categories: Business / Accounting / Finance
Coordinates the daily operational activities of the Network Infrastructure & Services (NI&S) Accounting team, including accounts payable (AP) and accounts receivable (AR) functions. Ensures all AP and Telco vendor payments are paid within University and NI&S guidelines. Audits and records Telco vendor payment transactions using NI&S's internal networked billing system. Collaborates with NI&S personnel on procurement of annual maintenance agreements and maintains tracking spreadsheet. Investigates and resolves problems encountered with cellular service and equipment orders. Assures AP and Telco Vendor Billing (TVB) records are recorded and tracked in the NI&S billing system Document Management function and stored according to NI&S procedures. Works closely with the Associate Director of Accounting on planning and executing tasks for the AR function. Serves as backup for monthly billing tasks and Telco vendor call detail record loads. Creates and maintains spreadsheets, reports, logs and any other information required to support AP, AR, and TVB processes. Prepares detailed analyses of various services and usage and reconciles services billed by outside vendors to services billed to NI&S customers. Prepares monthly expense reconciliations between the NI&S billing system and Banner. Prepares monthly expense reconciliation in the University’s FINTRACS system and serves as backup for the monthly revenue reconciliation. Communicates and interacts directly with vendors regarding billing issues and problems. Communicates and interacts directly with University departments and other customers regarding billing questions and requests for information. Serves as backup for HokieMart, the NI&S billing system, and other application transactions and work orders. Provides input for the design and development of policies and procedures pertaining to AP, TVB, and AR. Documents and revises existing AP, TVB, and AR procedures. Communicates and interacts directly with all levels of NI&S personnel.
- Graduation from a college or university with major studies in accounting; or an equivalent combination of training and experience indicating an understanding and knowledge of accounting principles
- Ability to perform detailed work with numerical data
- Strong analytical skills
- Must be adaptable to change and consistently strive to increase knowledge level relative to assigned tasks and duties
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision required
- Must be able to effectively function as a team member, and to follow and provide oral and written instructions
- Demonstrated effective communication skills
- Must be able to deal tactfully with customers and vendors in person, over the phone and via email, and communicate clearly
- Experience using spreadsheet, word-processing and billing software in a networked environment with a high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to apply and adapt established accounting methods, administrative policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to prepare financial reports and statements and perform data analysis as requested by management
- Prior supervisory experience
- Experience using SQL or similar query language for data analysis
- Experience working with University accounting procedures
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Kessler at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend