Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 40
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Thursday-Monday 12:30-8:30pm
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
Perform all tasks relative to care for horses stabled at Mount Holyoke College and to take care of general maintenance of the facility and equipment while providing a welcome atmosphere to new students, boarders, prospective students, and the community.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide hay & clean water to horses
- Feeding horses according to grain cards and making sure horses are consistently getting any supplements which are assigned. This entails reminder notes to boarders or advising the stable manager if and when their supplements run low.
- Turning out horses and rotating turn out regimes
- Cleaning 12-13 stalls daily. Infrequently there may be a need to do several more than this as needed. Stable management will make every effort to minimize these occurrences
- General pick-up, sweeping, and neatening of stable. Further examples include cobwebbing, cleaning drains, cleaning wash stalls, changing trash bags, opening hay, moving hay & grain, cleaning outside tubs, mucking paddocks, raking up hay, leaves, etc. -
- Regular facility maintenance projects and some seasonal/special projects as assigned. Examples include dragging arenas, raking outside areas, moving jumps, cleaning/dusting knee-walls in indoor arenas, readying paddocks for overnight turn out, preparing for boarders return, and others as assigned.
- Each stable assistant will be assigned a group of school horses whose care and maintenance they are responsible for. This will include some basic first aid as needed after a consultation with the Stable Manager or Director. Should first aid training be necessary in any respect, it will be provided. Each person will be expected to know the following - a horse’s normal temperature, any normal lumps, bumps and swellings, any normal behaviors, ordinary drinking behavior, and horse’s turn out preferences.
Qualifications: Previous horse handling, husbandry, and general farm experience is a must. Must be able to work both independently as well as on a team. Some minimal computer knowledge, and general understanding of horse rehabilitation care or the ability to learn both is required. We are looking for longevity in the hire so the desired hire will be long term.
Preferred Qualifications: A minimum of 5years experience in a professional equine facility of at least 30 stalls is preferred. Experience with Warmbloods, Thoroughbreds, and various breeds involved in jumping and/or dressage is also preferred but not required. Additional preference to candidates that have experience in a school horse/lesson environment. A level headed approach to horsemanship is required. Experience operating farm machinery is a plus but not required. No riding experience or riding is required for this job although lunging knowledge is an added bonus for the hire.
License/Certifications: MassDOT Hoisting License required upon hire.
Physical Demands: Must be able to work on your feet for the tenure of the duty day (8 hours), the ability to lift a 55lb hay bale overhead, must be able to squat and lift a fully loaded 10yard wheel barrow and push it up an incline to be dumped.
Working Conditions: This job requires the hire to work in all types of weather to include snow and rain conditions, varying temperature conditions (occasionally in extremes consistent with current New England weather), uneven terrain as well as non-improved surfaces. Known equestrian hazards of working with large animals in differing environments, temperaments, and tight quarters are part of this job.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.