Research Technician who will assist with sample collection in the field and prepare insect traps for several invasive insect pest survey programs, assist with sample and specimen preparation, and perform miscellaneous duties in the lab. The Technician will also assist student workers with lab activities.
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Entomology & Plant Pathology is a comprehensive department with an academic, research and service mission. The Department offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees from the College of Agriculture and Life Science, and currently advises approximately 330 undergraduates and 60 graduate students.
Area of Specialization:
Entomological Research in Field & Museum Settings
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Sets up insect traps and samples insects in the field.
• Prepares insects traps and lures of various types for placement in the field.
• Sets up lab equipment and supplies and ensures proper operation.
• Prepares insect specimens for museum storage.
• Maintains a high degree of organization as it pertains to categorizing specimens and
inputting their data.
• Assists student workers.
• Practices good safety control methods.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Four (4) years of field work experience relevant to the position.
An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
• Bachelor’s degree with area of focus in Entomology, Biology, Forestry, Wildlife and
or a related field.
• Prior work experience in an entomological museum or lab.
• Coursework relevant to biology, entomology, insect taxonomy, statistics, cartographic
sciences, spermatophyte taxonomy, forest measurements, and biogeography
• Intermediate to advanced experience with Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel.
• Experience with Digital Photography
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Familiarity with trap designs used in invasive insect surveying and procedures for their
establishment and retrieval.
• General knowledge of insect taxonomy, identification, and dissection with a particular
emphasis on invasive species.
• Experience in operation of compound and dissecting microscopes along with laboratory
• Excellent organization skills and dealing with large sets of data.
• Excellent computer skills such related to spreadsheets and word processing.
• Excellent interpersonal, communications, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to prioritize competing demands and meet deadlines.
• Ability to innovate and work as a team member.
• Ability to anticipate barriers to project completion; plan and manage contingencies.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Requires limited lifting of files, records, and insect drawers.
• Fieldwork requires ability to drive and includes exposure to the outdoors and associated
• Frequent, external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions
influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a
few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with
• Travel throughout Mississippi to various events and field sites may be necessary with
some overnight stays required on occasion.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources
Management website at
https://www.jobs.msstate.edu by completing the Support Staff
application and submitting a cover letter, resume, and three references.
March 30, 2023 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.