Assistant Professor of Sociology and Environmental Studies - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Job no: 492927
Work type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Ph.D. in Sociology or related field with specialization in Environmental Sociology.
- ABD’s considered for a two year contract with provision that your Ph.D. must be completed by December 2020.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness.
- Record of ongoing scholarly development relevant to the position.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Interest in and focus on water resources and issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work in interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated ability in community-based learning, experiential learning, and high-impact teaching practices.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Teaching Environmental Sociology in the Sociology Department.
- Teaching the Social Problems course in the Sociology Department.
- Teaching courses in Environmental Studies and Sustainability.
- Service responsibilities in Sociology and Environmental Studies, including, but not limited to faculty governance, departmental committees, and student advising.
- Ongoing scholarly activity and professional development.
Responsibilities – Non-essential Functions:
- Develop new courses.
- Collaborate actively with the Annis Water Resources Institute.
- Contribute to the development of the Sociology Department and the Environmental Studies program.
Department/Division: Joint Appointment with Sociology (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences) and Environmental Studies (Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies), with Sociology as the primary department.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with qualifications.
Application Deadline Date: review of applications will begin Monday October 22, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
How To Apply: Apply online at www.jobs.gvsu.edu. Submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, a 1-2 page statement of teaching philosophy, a 1-2 page statement of research interests, copies of graduate transcripts, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and 1-2 writing samples. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. Letters of recommendation upon request. If you need assistance with the online system, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215. If you have any questions about the position, contact George Lundskow, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend