Public Safety Officer - Department of Public Safety
Job no: 495101
Position type: DPS - Public Safety
Location: Allendale, Michigan
Categories: Department of Public Safety
This is a uniformed and armed police position charged with enforcing state/local laws and the rules of the university. Patrols the campus in a marked unit. Responds to emergency calls for service. Arrest and issue citations as necessary. Provide backup assistance when dispatched.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Associates Degree and/or equivalent experience.
- Applicants must be currently MCOLES certified or licensable as a police officer as defined by MCOLES at time of hire.
- Valid State of Michigan driver’s license with an acceptable traffic record.
- No criminal record, which will question credibility or public trust, expected of an officer.
- Possess good moral character as determined by a favorable comprehensive background investigation.
- Physical, mental and emotional ability to execute duties.
- Available to work any shift.
- Knowledge of current laws, standards and police procedures. Ability to learn and operate all communication equipment.
- Ability to maintain a satisfactory work performance and attendance record.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
This is a uniformed and armed police position charged with enforcing state/local laws and the rules of the university.
- Patrols the campus in a marked unit and responds to emergency calls for service.
- Arrest and issue citations as necessary.
- Respond to and investigate complaints as received or as the department requires.
- Testify at court and subsequent hearings. Serve subpoenas and warrants as requested.
- Responsible for the safety and protection of the campus community, its personnel and property.
- Act as a liaison between campus community and area law enforcement agencies
- Attend and complete by demonstrating proficiency all required in-service training programs which include Medical First Responder training and certification.
- Performs other similar and related duties as directed by supervisor.
Applicants that make it past the initial screening will be required to complete and submit a personal history statement form provided by the Department of Public Safety.
For information on the steps involved in the hiring process, please visit our website at www.gvsu.edu/gvpd/recruitment.
Salary: Starting at $29.03 per hour with yearly increases per contract
Department/Division: Public Safety
Campus: Allendale / Grand Rapids
How To Apply: Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend