Academic Computing Specialist
Job no: 495119
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Categories: Information Technology
This position is responsible for monitoring, supporting, and optimizing computing systems across environments and directly supporting faculty and students in the Padnos College of Engineering and Computing (PCEC) under the direction of the Academic Research Computing department.
- Regularly collaborate with team members, internal offices, faculty, and division leadership in support of curricular and research computing needs within PCEC.
- Ensure high availability of advanced technologies through monitoring of lab environments both virtual and physical.
- Monitor, maintain, support, and optimize systems to ensure minimum disruption to students, faculty, and staff.
- Identify potential issues related to curricular and research computing for, staying current on software and hardware needs.
- Provide advanced support for requests escalated from IT-Services front line support and other team members, taking ownership to thoroughly identify, document, and resolve issues.
- Manage the daily operations of the Academic Research Computing (ARC) team across colleges, working directly with faculty, students, and staff to provide exemplary service.
- Directly supporting students and faculty in their academic research and curricular computing needs.
- Ensure designated platforms and solutions follow internal standards and adhere to internal policies.
- Serve as subject matter expert in multiple technologies, maintaining in-depth technical and functional awareness and competency in assigned areas as they relate to academic computing.
- Prepare operational and technical documentation for multiple audiences, maintain related knowledge base article content.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and emerging technologies to recommend growth opportunities for the team and to apply new skills to day-to-day work.
- Train and manage student employees as necessary for direct support of PCEC.
- Perform other duties as required/assigned by manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum two years professional experience demonstrating the following:
- Technical expertise and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft, Linux, and Mac operating systems in both virtual and physical computing environments.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team and ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and end users possessing varying technical skillsets.
- Ability to gather and refine requirements to thoroughly understand requests, then document proposed scope of work to implement solutions.
- Knowledge of modern IT infrastructure and computing environments including on-prem, hybrid, and cloud-based technologies for servers, storage, and networking.
- Working knowledge of client/server networking protocols and components including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, etc.
- Understanding and demonstrated experience working with one or more of HIPAA, FERPA, GDPR protected data security.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES PREFERRED
- Advanced degree or technical certification in relevant area of expertise.
- Certifications in hardware or software specific to engineering.
- Experience working in or supporting technology for higher education settings.
- 2 or more years professional experience with the following:
- Familiarity with and demonstrated utilization of scripting (examples, Python, R, etc.)
- Knowledge of Monitoring and Management Platforms.
- Knowledge of system security.
Normal office environment. Some travel may be required.
Position to be primarily housed on Pew Campus, downtown Grand Rapids with occasional travel to Allendale campus.
Provide support outside standard schedule and on an on-call basis to ensure service level expectations are met.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
SALARY: Minimum starting salary of $70,000; commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Academic Research Computing/Information Technology
CAMPUS: 1 position will be located in Allendale, Michigan and 1 position will be located in Grand Rapids, Michigan
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Click "Apply to this Posting.” Include a cover letter, a resume, contact information for three references, and copy of transcripts. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application review begins January 8, 2023. The posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend