Position: Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Effective Date: August 17, 2023 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Application Deadline: Review of applications to begin December 5, 2022. Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
College of Engineering
Department of Computer Engineering and Computer Science
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a closely related field. Degree at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2023.
- Demonstrated or recorded potential for teaching at college level
- Demonstrated potential for successful research, scholarly and creative activities
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population
- Demonstrated ability and clear plans for teaching and curriculum in either areas of Data Science, or Cybersecurity, or Software Engineering, or Natural Language Processing, or related fields
- Demonstrated ability and clear plans for the development of a research program in either areas of Data Science, or Cybersecurity, or Software Engineering, or Natural Language Processing, or related fields
- Demonstrated interdisciplinary research experience
- Demonstrated ability to supervise student projects and thesis
- Demonstrated participation in university governance
- Demonstrated interest in contributing to the mission of the department, college, and university
- Postdoctoral experience
- Experience of successfully working with populations demographically and socioeconomically similar to the CSULB student body
- Teach undergraduate and graduate level courses effectively, as needed by the Department [Mode of instruction may include in-person, hybrid, online, and/or any combination thereof.]
- Develop and maintain curriculum and keep content current
- Establish and sustain a successful record of research, scholarly and creative activities leading to publications and presentations
- Maintain office hours
- Participation in faculty governance
- Work collaboratively and productively with colleagues
- Support and empower the educational goals of our diverse body of students including those from historically marginalized backgrounds
- Commit to pedagogical practices that are anti-racist and anti-ableist
- Participate in service to the department, college, university, and community
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University’s strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Information on excellent benefits package available to CSULB faculty is located here:
How to Apply - Required Documentation:
- An Equity and Diversity Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (maximum two pages, single-spaced). The statement should include the applicant’s plans to contribute to CSULB’s mission of building an equitable and empowering culture. For further information and guidelines, please visit: http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement
- Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information of three references (to be contacted for confidential letters of recommendation should you reach the finalist stage)
- A research statement describing your research accomplishments and plans
- A teaching statement describing your philosophy/experiences in teaching
- Finalists should be prepared to submit an official transcript (e-transcript preferred, if available)
How to Apply: Click Apply Now icon to complete the CSULB online application
Requests for information should be addressed to:
Computer Engineering and Computer Science, Search Committee Chair
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Computer Engineering and Computer Science
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-8302
(562) 985-4285 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race or ethnicity (including color or ancestry), nationality, religion or religious creed, gender (or sex), gender identity (including transgender), gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran or military status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.