Infrastructure Installation Specialist
Job no: 517616
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Telecommunications Auxiliary
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise scale, high-performance computing and communications networks. Come join us in ensuring that Hokies have direct access to reliable, leading edge, high-speed national and global research networks and facilities for teaching and learning, research, administration, and community service and engagement.
NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role. Members of our team will have an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where all members of the team are expected to:
■ Work cooperatively with others as part of a highly functional team
■ Recognize and respect the practices, customs, values, and norms of other individuals, groups, and cultures
■ Focus on identifying and satisfying customer needs
■ Build positive and professional working relationships
■ Listen actively and effectively
■ Understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives
■ Present ideas and concepts clearly utilizing effective communications skills
■ Manage time and prioritize tasks to ensure assignments are completed according to established expectations
■ Demonstrate self discipline and reliability
As a member of our Network Infrastructure and Installation (NII) team, you will contribute to the installation of cable, conduit, surface raceway, optical fiber and various types of network hardware and equipment needed for Virginia Tech’s communications networks. These networks meet the operational, academic, social, and research needs of over 33,000 students and 8,000 faculty/staff.
Although not limited to the following, the position’s responsibilities will include:
● Installation, termination, and splicing of inter- and intra-building multimode and single mode optical fiber and high pair count PE89 copper
● Assist with the installation of the telecommunications equipment and fiber distribution hardware
● Maintain accurate documentation of the entire campus fiber cable plant
● Test, troubleshoot and repair optical fiber circuits and copper pairs
● With supervision, complete installation of network hardware to include wireless access points and Ethernet switches
● Perform locating procedures to verify underground cable locations for the Virginia Utility System
● Update web-based ticket entry system and respond to emergency locates as necessary
● Interact and coordinate with external contractors, surveyors, and project planners to convey locations of underground telecommunications facilities
● Installation of Category 6/A cable, termination of RJ-45 jacks and perform certification of station cable to ensure compliance with university and industry standards
● Participation in project management as a team member, following all appropriate IT Project Management processes and procedures
● Extensive experience performing installation and repair work on voice, data and video systems
● Experience working with underground telecommunications utilities
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Ability to effectively function as a team member with ability to accurately follow provided instructions
● Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record and have a background check with favorable results
● Experience supervising the installation and repair work on voice, data and video systems
● Able to read and interpret blueprints and floor plans
● Understanding of telecommunications structured cabling standards
● Proficient with the use of personal computers, and cable testers
● BICSI certification
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Travis DeGrandi at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend