Fire Safety Engineer
Job no: 518467
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: VP for Admin & Business Services
Department: Environmental Health & Safety
Location: Blacksburg Area
Reporting to the University Fire Safety Officer & Assistant Director of Occupational Safety and Health, the Fire Safety Engineer oversees and manages the university fire and life safety programs following OSHA regulations, the Fire Code, and related requirements. Acts as a liaison to local, state, and federal agencies for fire and life safety compliance issues and emergencies. Acts as a consultant to the university community for fire and life safety issues.
- A Bachelors of Science in Engineering, Fire Science, or related field OR extensive training and experience equivalent to a degree.
- Experience developing and implementing programs to meet Fire code and other standards with a working knowledge of the interpretations, technical principles, practices, equipment, and procedures used to comply with fire and life safety codes, building codes, NFPA standards, and related OSHA regulations.
- Experience coordinating and supervising fire/safety compliance programs in a large, complex work environment.
- Proficiency with standard computer software.
- Demonstrated ability to write technical reports and related professional correspondence.
- Ability to act independently and as a team member.
- Professional Engineer
- Virginia Certified Fire Official or equivalent certification at the national level.
- Experience reviewing and interpreting building drawings and schematics.
- Experience coordinating and supervising fire/safety compliance programs in a university environment.
- Must be able to safely move and handle up to 40 pounds unassisted, sit, stand, walk, reach, bend, climb ladders and stairs, and perform repetitive motion primarily through the use of keyboarding.
- Must have a criminal background check.
- Must have a driver's license check.
- Emergency Personnel health &; safety-related.
- Must have an acceptable and safe driving record.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend