Network Engineer II
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 520459
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Telecommunications Auxiliary
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus, Hybrid
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise-scale, high-performance computing, and communications networks. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role. We provide the infrastructure and platforms to enable numerous services and teams across the university. Come build with us!
The Network Engineer contributes to the installation, configuration, administration, and support of Virginia Tech residential, and campus networks and associated services. Virginia Tech networks utilize multiple vendor routing, switching, and wireless technologies. The campus core and border consist of a sophisticated architecture that serves as the high-speed backbone for network services that meet the operational, academic, social, and research needs of over 33,000 students and 8,000 faculty/staff. The position reports to a Network Engineering and Operations (NEO) manager and works closely with members of NEO and often interacts with other programs within Virginia Tech’s Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) and other units of the University. The Network Engineer is expected to:
- Assist in day-to-day operational activities necessary for deployment, maintenance, and management of networking systems and technologies including equipment installation, configuration changes, and software updates.
- Provide excellent customer service and technical support to diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve network issues including routing, switching, wireless, and other network services.
- Utilize network monitoring applications and tools to monitor network performance and other metrics. Identify inconsistencies in configuration and recommend adjustments or changes as needed.
- Contribute to projects and tasks as directed.
- Investigate, resolve and document security, copyright infringement, and other incidents using incident management applications and other network management tools and applications.
- Expand on relevant skill sets by actively participating in approved professional development opportunities such as training sessions and conferences.
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
- Demonstrated experience as a network analyst or engineering experience
- Advanced knowledge of fundamental and relevant LAN/WAN technologies and protocols.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently under high-level direction
- Experience testing, and deploying enterprise-class networks
- Familiarity with network management applications and experience using Application Program Interfaces (APIs), programming and scripting languages useful for network management tool integration.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose moderately complex problems in areas of proficiency
- Willing and able to learn new technologies and skillsets, to accept increasingly difficult assignments, and to grow professionally
- Demonstrated ability to develop and clearly document procedures related to the deployment, operation, troubleshooting, and management of complex telecommunications systems
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and communicate clearly with technical and non-technical stakeholders and team members
Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM field, such as Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Technology
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of routing protocols and technologies through one or more of the following certifications: CCNP, JNCIP, or equivalent
- Working experience configuring and working with enterprise or campus networks
- Knowledge of system automation and orchestration technologies and concepts
Commensurate on experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Amber Pifer at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend