Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
About the Graduate College:
The Graduate College provides leadership for quality graduate education at Boise State, ensuring the highest program standards and enhancing the student experience in over 80 master’s and doctoral degrees. The staff of the Graduate College at Boise State is dedicated to ensuring a successful graduate student experience from recruitment through graduation. Together we work to promote a strong and growing graduate community for students and faculty. This position is an integral part of providing this experience through support and leadership. The Senior Financial Technician is a lead role for financial transactions, providing analysis, support, and assistance for the Graduate College.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
To perform a variety of para-professional financial duties including developing and maintaining records, documents, reports and financial data; reviewing financial documents and records; performing some entry level accounting, bookkeeping or audit functions; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
60% of the Time the Financial Technician, Senior must:
- Incumbents are assigned more challenging duties in support of complex programs that require more follow-up, complex coding, interaction with other programs, and as a result, have considerable impact attached to their output. May serve as a supervisor over a small financial unit, as a lead worker and/or trainer, an are relied upon for impactful recommendations due to their deep knowledge and understanding of the programs they support. Function independently and exercise considerable discretion when dealing with public officials, business representatives, and/or the general public to identify and resolve non-routine issues involving laws and regulations; may conduct meetings and interviews, and may testify in legal proceedings. They may have approval authority over work generated by Financial Technicians, Financial Support Technicians and others.
- This is the third of four levels of the Financial Technician job classification. Generally this level performs higher level financial functions for an agency, program, or stand - alone regional district office than that performed by the first two levels of the technician classification. Incumbents at this level are paraprofessionals and have broad knowledge of the organization's programs and financial requirements to oversee the preparation, reconciliation, and balancing of financial transactions and documents. These positions may supervise, have lead work responsibilities, provide consultation, train or mentor unit staff, etc.
35% of the Time the Financial Technician, Senior Must:
- Provide excellent customer service to students, faculty, and staff communities
- Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with others within the department and across campus on projects
- Perform a variety of financial duties including developing and maintaining records, documents, reports and financial data; reviewing financial documents and records; performing some entry-level accounting, bookkeeping or audit functions; perform related work.
- Complete general ledger accounting/financial record keeping functions (reconciling, balancing, tracking, verifying)
- Research, analyze, and compile information to prepare reports, verify and reconcile transactions, resolve problems; create and verify monthly reports and other special reports
- Make payments to students, departments, and vendors using a variety of methods, following correct procedure and ensuring compliance with university policies
- Prepare detailed correspondence with departments and students
- Conduct year-end and new fiscal year tasks, incorporate changes and forecasts into reporting
- Prepare and submit journal entries, interdepartmental charges, payment requisitions, and budget transfers; manage, reconcile; verify, approve, and reconcile
P-card purchases and expense reports
5% Duties as Assigned
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Strong skills in using computer systems to develop and maintain records, documents, reports and financial data.
- Some knowledge of tax laws.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel
Some knowledge of: accounting principles and practices.
Good knowledge of: financial record keeping methods.
Experience: bookkeeping; using advanced Excel functions; researching and compiling financial information and preparing summaries and reports; using personal computers to enter, retrieve, and edit financial data.
- Baccalaureate degree OR one year equivalent professional experience.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience reviewing documents and records for accuracy and completeness.
- Experience reviewing and ensuring policy compliance
- Good knowledge of office support functions including word processing, filing, composing a variety of business documents, and researching information
- Skilled user of email and office software (Word, Excel, Google Suite)
- Highly organized, able to work independently, able to work effectively across organizational boundaries
- Demonstrates commitment to working in a team environment
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
Please attach a cover letter indicating interest and qualifications for this role and a copy of your current resume to your application.