Performs various medical back office duties and procedures at an expert technical level. The RN is the first line of support for medical practitioners and provides oversight for MAs. Performs nursing duties such as triage, wound care, medication and immunization administration, phlebotomy, point of care testing, patient education, and emergency response. As a staff member in the Student Affairs department who works closely with students, this person serves as a Christian role model to students.
- Preventative healthcare: Provide fundamental preventative health care to students of the University. Explain procedures, medications, and other medical-related matters to students; provide for health education to students; arrange for individualized health education as needed.
- Follow-up patient care duties such as: Arrange for medical referrals to community resources as needed utilizing the student's medical insurance as appropriate; Responsible for calling patients as requested by the practitioners and recommend appropriate follow-up care for symptoms, ER and Urgent Care visits, evaluate medication effectiveness and advise for further care. Responsible for reporting all positive STD testing results to LA County. Performs and reads lab results according to procedure for tests including Strep, Mono, HCG, and Flu. Maintains a continuous information log for each test.
- Direct Patient Care/Contact: Make appropriate evaluation and assure proper care of illness and injuries; obtain vital signs according to established procedures; collect laboratory specimens; administer non-prescription medications as assigned. Instructs and prepares patients for examination and diagnostic procedures. Assists in examination and special procedures to include, but not limited to: minor surgery, orthopedic applications, centrifuging, autoclaving, and other special studies/tasks. Performs nursing duties to include procedures such as phlebotomy, giving immunizations, injections, ear lavage, bandaging, splinting, etc. Serves as triage nurse, evaluating the needs of the students presenting as emergencies, as walk-ins and by telephone, and provides follow-up as needed. Provides first aid and evaluates routine episodic problems not needing a practitioner's attention. Delivers pre-packaged, labeled, and properly identified medications to patients on a patient-specific order and reviews dosage, side effects, etc. Provides expanded role nursing duties based on specific back office protocols, e.g. evaluating INH medication, suture removal, eating disorders, travel medicine, STD testing, and allergy injections.
- Administrative duties: Under the direction of the Director of the Student Health Center, the lead RN, or the Medical Director. The Registered Nurse will be expected to perform all routine Back Office medical procedures as outlined in the Back Office Manual. Assures reliance of in-house test procedures and adequate handling/processing of lab specimens to be sent to outside lab. Understands and follows guidelines of HIPAA policy for patient confidentiality. Evaluates records for immunization compliance. Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Four year Bachelor of Science, Nursing Degree. Graduate of an accredited Registered Nursing Program. Valid State of California registration as a Registered Nurse. Nursing duties to include procedures such as phlebotomy, immunizations, injections, ear lavage, bandaging, splinting, etc. Must have a personal faith in Jesus Christ, active involvement in a local church, and demonstrate support for the Christian mission of the University-seeking to help students develop lives of purpose, service, and leadership.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $42.90 - $50.48 per hour
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.
Pepperdine is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.