Job no: 518390
Work type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: San Francisco
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time, Faculty - Engineering
The School of Engineering at San Francisco State University invites applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Computer Engineering, beginning August 9, 2023. The School seeks individuals with a background in Computer Engineering or a closely related field. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity, equity, inclusion, and excellence of the academic community.
About San Francisco State University:
San Francisco State University is located in San Francisco - one of the world's most vibrant, beautiful, and diverse cities. San Francisco is the world’s flagship hub for technology, innovation, and entrepreneurship, as well as a thriving center for arts and culture. San Francisco State University is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian-American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI). San Francisco State University is a member of the California State University (CSU) system and serves a diverse student body of 27,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The mission of San Francisco State University is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area; to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as thenation and world. To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the following goals:
• Attracting, retaining and graduating a highly diverse student body;
• Providing disciplinary and interdisciplinary liberal arts and professional education that is academically rigorous and intellectually challenging;
• Providing curricula that reflect all dimensions of human diversity, and that encourage critical thinking and a commitment to social justice;
• Recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse faculty whose teaching demonstrates an active engagement with their individual fields of study and whose creative and scholarly work is an extension of the classroom, laboratory or studio;
• Employing a staff and administration reflecting the diversity of our student community and the values of the campus;
• Fostering a collegial and cooperative intellectual environment that includes recognition and appreciation of differing viewpoints and promotes academic freedom within the University community; and
• Serving the communities with which its students and faculty are engaged.
About the School of Engineering:
The School of Engineering (https://engineering.sfsu.edu) at San Francisco State University is the only four-year Engineering school in the City of San Francisco and has been a talent reservoir that serves a myriad of industries in the San Francisco Bay Area, in particular Silicon Valley, and throughout California. We pride ourselves in offering four ABET-accredited undergraduate engineering programs: civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering, as well as three master’s programs in civil engineering, electrical and computer engineering, and mechanical engineering. In addition, we have established four accelerated BS/MS programs, or SF State Scholars Programs, where students can complete their BS and MS degrees in about 5 years. Together, these programs serve a highly diverse student body of 1,300 undergraduates and 80 graduate students, of which 42% are underrepresented minorities, 34% are first-generation students, and 18% are female students. The School of Engineering currently has 23 tenured/tenure-track faculty and more than 30 lecturer faculty. Among them are recipients of distinguished teaching awards, NSF and NIH grants, Department of Energy grants, Air Force Research Laboratory grants, California State University Faculty Innovation and Leadership Award, CSU STEM-NET Fellow, American Chemical Society PRF grant, and corporate funding; as well as Google Faculty-in-Residence, technology entrepreneurs, senior technical and management staff at local high-tech companies, and senior members of local government agencies. As we look forward to a bright future in the School of Engineering, a new $150M, state-of-the-art building (https://catalyze.sfsu.edu/catalyze/science-engineering-innovation-center) is being constructed and will be the new home of the School of Engineering with modernized engineering research and teaching labs beginning 2024.
Responsibilities: The position requires graduate and undergraduate teaching in Computer Engineering, mentoring and advising graduate and undergraduate students, curriculum and laboratory development, establishing an active research program in the area of expertise, and contributing to committee and service assignments within the School of Engineering, the College of Science & Engineering, and the University. A detailed position description is available in the link below.
• Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Computer Engineering or a closely related field. Terminal degree must be completed by the first day of employment.
• Record of working and communicating effectively with colleagues and students
• Record of teaching contributions in the areas of computer engineering at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including but not limited to: computer systems, digital systems design, computer networks, design with microcontrollers, embedded systems, computer architecture, VLSI, computer programming, etc.
• Research specialty in the areas that include but are not limited to: computer architecture, including energy efficient and/or high-performance computing systems; embedded systems; VLSI circuits and systems; reconfigurable computing; real-time operating systems (RTOS), including RTOS for robotics, automation; hardware and software for artificial intelligence and machine learning; and Internet-of-Things (IoT), including cyber-physical systems, IoT security and threat detection, and IoT for health, economic, and social equities; broad spectrum of computer hardware or software from system to physical layer. Strong candidates will be seriously considered regardless of area of specialization.
• Active record of scholarship related to their specialty area and evidence of external support or the potential for external funding of these activities.
• Demonstrated ability to incorporate inclusion, diversity, and educational equity in teaching, and/or scholarship/creative works
• Experience teaching and working closely with students from historically underrepresented communities
• Record of contributing to supportive and collaborative work environments
Rank and salary: Assistant Professor is a tenure-track position. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement, and other benefits.
A complete online application must be submitted to receive consideration. To apply, upload the following materials:
1. Cover letter (relating your experience to the required qualifications)
2. Curriculum vitae
3. A statement of research interests
4. A statement of teaching philosophy
5. A diversity statement that provides an understanding of your capabilities to address diversity in support of SFSU’s diverse student and community populations. Please discuss how you have addressed diversity in your teaching, research, and service
6. Names and contact information of no fewer than three references. Letters of recommendation upon request at a later date.
Review of applications will begin on December 15th, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. Please direct all questions about the position to: Raul Contreras III (email@example.com), Academic Office Coordinator, School of Engineering, San Francisco State University.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in employment with California State University (CSU). CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. Because of this, CSU prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California with very limited exception. While this position may be eligible for occasional telework, all work is expected to be performed in the state of California, and this position is assigned to on-campus operations.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. We strongly encourage the application of individuals from historically underrepresented groups. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager. Additional information on the requirements for new hires may be found at the
Human Resources web page (https://hr.sfsu.edu/about-hr).
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: August 30, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Ok, we will send you jobs like this.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement
Powered by PageUp