(Sr) Research Associate, Data Science
Job no: 514947
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Hume Center
Location: Blacksburg Area, Greater Washington, D.C., Metro Area
Categories: Information Systems / Technology, Research / Scientific
The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is a university-level research center that reports to the Vice President of Research and Innovation. Its mission is to cultivate the next generation of national security leaders by developing and executing curricular, extracurricular, and research opportunities to engage students. One of the fastest growing research centers at VT, sponsors and collaborators benefit from both highly experienced student talent and senior technical leadership that address some of our nation’s greatest security challenges. The Hume team executes research on behalf of a range of national security research sponsors, including Government agencies and industry.
This is a research and development position that may be based in Blacksburg or Arlington, Virginia and is part of the Hume Center’s Intelligent Systems Lab (ISL). Depending on the qualifications of the successful candidates, offer in rank may be at the research associate or senior research associate level.
ISL brings together researchers from computer science, statistics, machine learning, networks, signals processing and other fields to develop interdisciplinary solutions to cutting-edge technological challenges. Successful candidates for this position will have relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: statistics, systems engineering, data science, or computer science.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
(1) Support research conducted in ISL in projects focused on design of experiments, time series analyses, anomaly detection, natural language processing, large scale data infrastructure, and test and evaluation
(2) Contribute to technical documents/presentations and peer-reviewed academic papers
(3) Provide mentorship to students working on programs
• US citizenship
• For Research Associate: An earned Master's degree in Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, or related discipline; or an earned Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related discipline and significant related experience
• For Senior Research Associate: An earned doctorate degree in Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, or related discipline and progressively related experience. In lieu of the doctorate degree, a master’s degree in the related field with substantially significant professional experience may be considered.
• Proficiency in R, JMP, Python or related statistical analysis tools.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing research and/or development projects
• Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience
• Active security clearance
• Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
• Experience working in an academic environment
• Experience executing on research and/or development programs supporting the federal government
Commensurate with experience
2/8/2021 and open until all positions filled
Multiple openings with location in either Blacksburg, VA or Arlington, VA.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check. Candidates must be US citizens with the ability to acquire a security clearance.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sue Kass at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend