Clinical Asst/Assoc Prof Community Practice
Job no: 517383
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Veterinary Medicine
Department: Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Instructional / Teaching Faculty, Veterinary Medicine
The Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences of the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine invites applications for a faculty position, as a Clinical Assistant/Associate Professor of Community Practice. This position will be a full time, 12 month, clinical-track faculty position. The successful candidate will share service and teaching responsibilities with three other community practice faculty.
• Teaching will include clinical instruction of professional students, interns, and residents in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and didactic and laboratory instruction in professional curriculum. Community Practice supports an ABVP residency-training program, and the successful candidate will share responsibilities associated with resident training. There will be an expectation of dedication toward teaching.
• Service will include management of patients and clients in the Community Practice section of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital with an emphasis on preventative health care and routine medical, surgical and dental procedures. The successful candidate will also be expected to participate in continuing education programs of the College and participation in faculty governance activities.
• The applicant must be committed to excellent patient management and client service.
• Creative scholarship contributions are expected and will be commensurate with faculty assignment.
• Approximately 75% of effort will be in clinical instruction and service with the remaining efforts in didactic instruction, governance activities, scholarship and professional development.
• Qualifications include DVM or equivalent degree, a minimum of 5 years of small animal practice experience and/or board eligibility or board certification in the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners or American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Candidates without board certification would be expected to achieve ABVP certification as a consideration for additional reappointments.
• ABVP (canine/feline) board certification or board eligible
• Experience and interest in canine and feline dentistry
• Track record of teaching excellence
• Multiple years of clinical experience
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Keely Arbenz-Smith at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend