The TATP provides anaesthesia training at all 3 Tasmanian Health Service (THS) hospitals. It has between 30-35 positions each year including 4-6 provisional fellowship positions, with a variable number of vacancies.
Positions within the TATP may be either rotational positions or hospital-based positions.
The TATP is a comprehensive anaesthetic training program compliant with ANZCA’s guidelines and curriculum. It meets all of ANZCA’s training requirements. It offers anaesthetic training at all three Tasmanian Health Service (THS) hospitals including the Royal Hobart Hospital (RHH), the Launceston General Hospital (LGH), and the North West Regional Hospital (NWRH).
The TATP is an established anaesthetic training program with consistently strong academic results, high quality training and trainee satisfaction. It offers many advantages:
- rich clinical experience and ongoing exposure to multiple fields of anaesthetic practice throughout training
- comprehensive weekly education program for all trainees including a fortnightly state-wide primary teaching session which basic trainees are expected to attend via videoconference
- excellent recent examination results including Cecil Grey prize winners in the fellowship examination in 2012 and 2016 and Renton prize winners in the primary examination in 2014, 2015 and 2017.
- growing culture of research and clinical audit
- opportunities to actively pursue clinical and non-clinical interest.
- diverse trainee backgrounds and interests
- identification of trainees with a rural interest and development of rural anaesthesia training
- established overseas anaesthesia links and opportunities.
- collegial, supportive and respectful departments and hospitals
- diverse and high-quality lifestyle opportunities and experiences for trainees and their families
Anaesthetic Registrar Rotational positions
There are up to 20 TATP rotational positions state-wide. Trainees appointed to these positions will be offered a commitment of structured training within Tasmania (BTY1-ATY2) over the four years. They will be provided with the appropriate clinical opportunities required to complete all of their training.
In return for this commitment, trainees will be expected to rotate between the three participating THS hospitals including the Royal Hobart Hospital (RHH), the Launceston General Hospital (LGH), and the North West Regional Hospital (NWRH). Rotational trainees spend at least 2 of 4 years of training time at the RHH.
Anaesthetic Registrar Hospital-based Positions
Non-rotational positions within the TATP are hospital-based positions. It must be emphasised that hospital-based positions are fully accredited by ANZCA for anaesthetic training as they are all withing accredited training sites. During their appointment hospital-based trainees accumulate VOP, clinical experience and have access to examination opportunities and scholar role activities.
A hospital-based position is a fixed-term position usually for 12 months. Whilst the TATP does not offer a 4-year training commitment to hospital-based trainees, ongoing training and employment opportunities exist and are common including the use of extended contracts and the options to re-apply to the program each year or as required.
Hospital-based positions may also be occupied by Provisional Fellows, trainees who are unsuccessful in achieving a Rotational position, non-Anaesthesia Specialty Trainees (including DEM/ICU Registrars on rotation), Specialist International Medical Graduates (SIMG) and GP Anaesthetic trainees through DRGA. Trainees in extended training time (BTY2E and ATY2E) may apply for hospital positions.
All applications from eligible applicants are considered through a transparent, competitive selection process.
Eligible hospital-based Trainees may apply for rotational positions as they become available.
For further information please refer to the Doctors in Training information on the Careers webpage: Anaesthetics Registrars
$97,946 to $138,593 per annum pro rata + 10.5% superannuation + access to salary packaging
- Salary range is in accordance with Salaried Medical Practitioners (Tasmanian State Service) Agreement 2019
- *Please note that Salaried Medical Practitioners Agreement is currently under negotiation
Medical Practitioner Level 5-11 in accordance with the Salaried Medical Practitioners (Tasmanian State Service) Agreement 2019
Medical Practitioners (Public Sector) Award
Period of Employment
Fixed term full-time day work (with on-call), working 80 hours per fortnight commencing 5 February 2024 – 2 February 2025
Royal Hobart Hospital
Launceston General Hospital
North West Regional Hospital
The Registrar is responsible for the day-to-day management of private and public inpatients and outpatients within the Hospital and provides after-hours emergency cover at the hospital as determined by the Department of Anaesthesia.
- General or limited registration with the Medical Board of Australia
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre‑employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
1. Conviction checks in the following areas:
a) Crimes of Violence
b) Sex Related Offences
c) Serious Drug Offences
d) Crimes involving dishonesty
2. Identification check
3. Disciplinary action in previous employment check
- At least 24 months of junior medical officer experience.
Applicants should note that, for a period of twelve months from the date of publication, this selection process may be used to fill subsequent or similar full time and part time vacancies.
512828 Anaesthetic Registrar MP5-11 (Feb 2023) HR23.PDF
512828 Anaesthetic Registrar MP5-11 (November 2022) HR.docx
Department of Health - Applicant Guide June 2022.pdf
Department of Health - Applicant Guide June 2022.docx
How do I submit my application?
You are asked to address the selection criteria within the statement of duties and submit an online application. Please click the blue "Apply now" button on this screen.
Hard copy applications will not be considered for this campaign.
You will be prompted to complete an online application form, add or upload your selection criteria responses, CV and supporting documents. Attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Referee details are submitted as part of the online application so ensure you have the contact details for three referees before applying.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications submitted by an Agent on behalf of an applicant will not be considered for this recruitment.
For Anaesthetic Registrar position enquiries contact
Royal Hobart Hospital Anaesthetic Administration
For recruitment process enquiries contact
Medical Staffing Unit
Better health and quality of life around Tasmania.
Visit us at www.ths.tas.gov.au