Groundskeeper 1 - Facilities Services
Job no: 492622
Work type: MGS - Maintenance, Grounds, Service
Categories: Facilities/Custodial/Skilled Trades
This position has excellent benefits (medical, dental, vacation, sick time, holidays, tuition reduction, uniforms, retirement). For more specific information click here. More information details about benefits go to www.gvsu.edu/healthwellness.
Responsibilities - Essential Functions
- Maintain shrubs, annual and perennial flowers and beds, pools and fountains; including fertilizing, trimming, pruning, chemical treatments, leaf removal, and trash pick-up.
- Operate gardening equipment including, but not limited to, hand and power tools.
- Work with and apply chemical controls and fertilizers to shrub, annual and perennial beds and turfgrass areas.
- Follow work assignments, instructions, labeled information and safety standards as they relate to the use of tools and equipment used for grounds maintenance.
- Perform minor and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Work with and direct the activities of the student staff.
- Perform work duties/responsibilities for extended periods of time (approx. 8 hrs/day) – even during inclement weather.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor, including bending, stooping, reaching, and able to lift items or materials weighing a minimum of fifty (50) pounds.
- Provide quality customer service to faculty, staff, students and campus visitors.
- Work assignments will primarily involve flower bed care, hand weeding, pruning, and trimming of shrubbery with much attention to detail. Little or no turf mowing will be involved in this assignment.
- Experience in detailed “hands-on” work with gardens, flower beds and shrubbery.
- Prior gardening, landscaping, horticultural, agronomy, soils or turf maintenance experience.
- Satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Valid driver’s license.
- IMPORTANT: Work assignments may change to a different shift or time schedule in accordance with section 9.1 of the contract.
- Overtime will be handled on an individual basis as circumstances dictate.
- During the absence of the Grounds Supervisor, the position will report to the Assistant Grounds Supervisor.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Job Classification/Range: Grade 2. Minimum starting wage of $13.38.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu You can include a cover letter and resume. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend