Literacy Studies (Assistant Professor) - College of Education
Job no: 492741
Work type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Education
- Earned doctorate by August 31, 2018 in Curriculum & Instruction, Literacy, English Education, Language, Literacy & Culture, or a closely related field
- Record of successful elementary/early literacy teaching, with reading specialist certification preferred
- Knowledge of teacher education, social/critical theory, and literacy education to support diverse groups of students including English language learners and students with disabilities
- Effective oral, written and collaborative skills
- Demonstrated competence for university teaching
- Evidence of success for research and scholarly writing
- Willingness and ability to travel and teach at GVSU’s satellite campuses
- Willingness and ability to teach courses in an online or hybrid format, as well as traditional and/or workshop formats
- Teach three courses or their equivalent each semester in the Reading/Language Arts program. Possible courses include reading assessment, elementary reading methods, developmental literacy, language arts curriculum, and children’s literature
- Supervise graduate student practicum and thesis/ projects
- Advise undergraduate/graduate students
- Carry out scholarly activities such as research, publication, grant writing, presentations
- Provide service to the unit, university, profession and community including local K-12 schools
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: College of Education
SALARY: Competitive with comprehensive benefits package
EMPLOYMENT DATE: August 2018
CLOSING DATE: Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, three references, and a copy of transcripts. The online application system will allow candidates to electronically attach these documents. If you need assistance or have questions, call Human Resources at (616) 331-2215. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additional information about GVSU is available on our website at www.gvsu.edu.
Grand Valley State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for racial and ethnic minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. University policy extends protections to additional identities.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend