Biomedical Engineer (applied Medical Device Institute) aMDI - Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering
Job no: 492905
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Padnos College of Engineering & Computing
The applied Medical Device Institute (aMDI) within Grand Valley State University’s Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering and Computing invites applications for a full time Biomedical Engineer (Administrative Professional) position from the medical device industry. This is a two year grant funded position. Highly motivated candidates are sought to fulfill this technical role on a medical device development team and to fulfill the project management role on a multi-disciplinary engineering team in close collaboration with industry sponsors.
aMDI is devoted to the betterment of human health and well-being through applied medical device innovation, enhancing student learning experiences, engaging faculty and our community to bring novel medical devices to market.
The candidates must support a comprehensive medical device development process. aMDI engages in medical device development programs that tap a broad range of science, engineering, and business resources. aMDI serves the medical device community by providing access to researchers, engineers, medical professionals, business and entrepreneurial expertise that spans regulatory, intellectual property and business domains.
Medical device engineering development experience and/or education is required. She/he should have multi-disciplinary experience in electrical, electronics, computer software, and mechanical engineering. Software programming experience is required with embedded coding experience preferred. Of particular interest is experience in the design, development, simulation, prototyping, and/or testing of engineered products.
Candidates should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and be committed to the highest quality of laboratory and project execution along with scholarly and professional development. She/he should have ability to lead multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams, across multiple organizations that move at the pace of industry. An ability to participate in and capitalize upon existing collaborations with our West Michigan industrial partners and a history of external funding are highly valued.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Biomedical Engineering or a closely related field.
- 10+ years of engineering experience with a Bachelor’s degree; 4+ years of engineering experience with a Master’s degree; or 2+ years of engineering experience with a Ph.D.
- Must have multi-disciplinary experience in electrical, electronics, computer software, and mechanical engineering.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication and organizational skills and possess the ability to multitask in a fast-paced learning and teaching environment.
- Must have experience in proposal and grant preparation for external fundraising.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- A strong desire to work with diverse team composition of students, staff, and faculty in a highly technical environment.
- A knowledge of safety, machine tool experience, and security protocols in a laboratory or shop is preferred.
- Ability and experience to develop experimental and test protocols in support of projects.
- Supervisory experience is preferred with the ability to train and supervise additional support staff comprising up to undergraduate and graduate students.
- aMDI values candidates who demonstrate a commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching and an ability to work in a collaborative environment with a diverse population of colleagues, students, and industry sponsors.
- Strong engineering/analytical/problem solving skills in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to present information to cross functional audiences and management.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex technical information into simplified communication.
- Demonstrated ability to manage internal and external clients/vendors.
- Capable of working on multiple projects in a deadline driven environment.
- High degree of initiative and self-motivation.
- Relevant experience in project management in a regulated industry (e.g. medical device, pharma, aerospace, defense).
- Relevant experience in systems engineering; knowledge of product concept development, requirements management, functional analysis, interface definition and control, synthesis, verification and validation.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
A Day in the Life of aMDI Biomedical Engineer
- Contribute in a multi-functional team charged with validation of new system revisions and capabilities, troubleshooting issues with fielded generations of systems, and development of new measurement features and modalities.
- Accountable for leading technical team towards accomplishing project objectives/milestones.
- Mitigate and manage project technical risk by working with team to investigate shortcomings and implementing next steps in a timely manner.
- Develop technical solutions to complex problems that require use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Create and communicate clear and attainable project objectives, build project requirements, and manage the triple constraints for projects (cost, time, scope).
- Develop technical plan, define and manage budget, work with graduate assistants and students to secure resources, and execute plan to ensure successful completion of project effort/s.
- Create and maintain project schedule.
- Work across engineering teams (HW, SW, Sensor, etc) to manage technical effort and design integration.
- Apply technical standards, principles and techniques to solve problems.
- Define and/or manage requirements (system, element, segment, or subsystem level), perform requirements development, analysis, allocation, tracing, and validation.
- Apply design control procedures to project development effort.
- Manage internal and external clients/vendors.
- Designs, develops and provides safety testing, repair, and maintenance of biomedical equipment.
- Ensures that the biomedical equipment is in compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and quality control standards.
- Participate in activities such as compound screening and compound optimizations programs.
- Serve as lead interface between R&D and Manufacturing for a major subsystem of a complex opto-mechanical and opto-electrical medical device.
- Develop performance tests for qualification of component, sub-system, and system performance during manufacturing.
- Design and evaluate phantoms, test fixtures, metrics and software for system development, manufacturing and field service.
- Support projects focused on new system capabilities.
- Support interactions with FDA and other regulatory bodies for key labeling and compliance issues.
- Document and present research and development findings in technical reports, presentations, and publications.
- Aiding principal investigators in the design, development, setup, and operation of laboratory experiments, as well as assist in teaching CAD/CAM and Manufacturing Processes.
- Coordinating acquisition of components, equipment, and sub-systems associated with projects or aMDI core competencies.
- Instructing principal investigators, faculty and students on the safe and proper usage of equipment, testing equipment, plastic injection molders, and foundry equipment.
- Maintaining aMDI laboratories, facilities, supplies, reference materials, and project space, including procurement of supplies.
- Managing the aMDI laboratory facilities including logistics and maintenance.
- Responsible for consumables, supplies, service and maintenance operational budget.
- May be required to offer expertise in an adjunct teaching capacity.
Campus: Pew Campus
Department/Division: applied Medical Device Institute/Padnos College of Engineering and Computing
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Deadline Date: Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and click “Apply now”. Include a letter of interest or nomination, curriculum vitae, and at least three references with name, address, phone and e-mail. The online system will allow candidates to electronically attach these documents. If you need assistance or have questions, call Human Resources at (616) 331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend