Visiting Professor - Graphic Design (College of Liberal Arts & Sciences)
Job no: 493098
Work type: FAC - Visiting Faculty - 1st Year - Academic Year
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Summary: The Grand Valley State University (GVSU) Department of Visual and Media seeks candidates for a Visiting Professor in Graphic Design position. The appointment is a 9-month, full-time position that will start on August 6, 2019. The position is eligible for renewal for two more years.
- An MFA in Graphic Design or related field by August 2019 is preferred. Applicants without a terminal degree can apply with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree plus a minimum of 3 years of professional experience in Graphic Design. Professional experience may consist of professional practice, design writing, and/or exhibitions.
- Prior undergraduate-level teaching experience (teaching assistantship experience will be considered)
- Combination of skills in the following areas: Typography, Print Design, Print Production, UX research, UX design, UI design, and Branding.
- Evidence of knowledge of traditional and contemporary design practice.
- Design research, motion graphics, and data visualization are a plus.
- Primary responsibility will be to teach courses in the Graphic Design area. The candidate will teach 4 (four) courses/semester (12 semester hours) in a NASAD-accredited undergraduate program.
- Voluntary participation in Graphic Design Student Portfolio Reviews
- Support Grand Valley State University’s diversity commitment and student-centered vision and mission.
How to Apply: Apply online at www.gvsu.edu/jobs and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter addressing your qualifications and a curriculum vitae. Additionally, include a web address for a portfolio of 10–15 examples of professional work and 10–15 examples of student work. If a web portfolio is not available, links to cloud-based .pdfs will suffice.
The online application will allow you to attach documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately. Please submit by June 24, 2019 to assure full consideration. The position may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend