Career Navigator - Vice Provost for Health
Job no: 493136
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Battle Creek
Categories: Vice Provost for Health
Summary: In partnership with the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, Grand Valley is stepping into the Battle Creek community. As an integral team member working closely with the area’s students and educators, the Career Navigator will have an incredible impact on the lives of numerous students. Grand Valley is seeking an adaptable, open-minded professional to guide K-12 students and connect them with resources to set them up for success.
*** This a 5 year grant funded position and continuation will be dependent upon grant funds. ***
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of one year experience working within a K12 and/or higher education setting. Demonstrated experience assisting K-12 students from traditionally under-served backgrounds including, but not limited to first generation, low-income, ethnically diverse and/or students with disabilities, to identify career opportunities, the process to investigate and develop a plan to achieve.
- Demonstrated understanding of student development and developmental advising theories.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as a member of a team that includes external partners.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- An earned Master's degree, particularly one in an academic advising related field (College Student Affairs, Adult & Higher Education, Educational Leadership, Counseling, etc.).
- At least two years of demonstrated academic advising experience in higher education. Understanding of student transition and success issues, especially with first-generation.
- Understanding of trauma informed approaches for teaching and advising. Experience with recruitment and orientation of new students.
- Experience building partnerships with community colleges and other higher education institutions.
- Familiarity with computer student information systems and web-based records and registration programs (Banner, Degree Works, OnBase, etc.).
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Serve as liaison between GVSU and the Battle Creek Community, Battle Creek Public Schools and other schools in the area.
- Provide resources and support to students at Battle Creek Public Schools who are enrolled in GVSU dual-enrollment courses.
- Provide information to high school and community college counselors and advisors on GVSU academic programs, admissions requirements and processes, student support services and opportunities.
- In collaboration with high school counselors and administrative teams:
- Provide career and academic advising and support to students at Battle Creek Public Schools enrolled in GVSU dual enrolled courses that facilitates student success, and persistence.
- Provide general academic advising to students at Battle Creek Public Schools, and other High School students with an interest in majors and/or minors in programs located at GVSU.
- Provide advising and support to students experiencing academic difficulty in dual enrollment course(s).
- Provide support and outreach for new student orientations for GVSU dual enrolled courses at Battle Creek Public Schools.
- Assist students to understand degree programs that meet their areas of interest, academic requirements for degrees including pathway, ladder or employment options to meet their individual needs, including the types of support services available and how to access.
- Assist students and families with and/or coordinate assistance for financial aid application process.
- Assist students with and/or coordinate assistance with enrollment process, including assisting students with application essays and interviews.
- Assist high schools to develop academic support strategies that will assist students to be successful in a higher education setting.
- Provide career and academic advising to community members with an interest in majors and/or minors for programs offered by GVSU.
- Educate counselors, parents and students on appropriate resources, support services and educational experiences to facilitate academic and personal success based on individual needs.
- Provide professional academic advisor support of collaboration initiatives with community colleges and other higher education institutions.
- Serve as a liaison to GVSU programs.
- Provide support for university initiatives related to the Battle Creek region to increase student retention, persistence and success.
- The Career Navigator will split their workdays, with a half day spent at Battle Creek Public Schools and the other half at the GVSU Outreach Center.
- Required to be present during in-class sessions at Battle Creek Public Schools to provide support and answer questions for faculty and students.
- Periodic travel in the state of Michigan, including to Grand Rapids and Allendale, will be required.
- Other responsibilities as defined by the Director of Community Engagement and the Vice Provost for Health.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and degree
Department/Division: Office of the Vice Provost for Health
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Application Deadline Date: Consideration of applications will begin immediately, the posting will be open until filled and may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend