Academic Advisor - CLAS Academic Advising Center (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
Job no: 493179
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Summary: The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) is the largest of Grand Valley's colleges. Our students choose from more than 50 bachelor degrees in the natural and mathematical sciences, the fine arts and humanities, and the social sciences. In fact, all GVSU undergraduates build the foundation for their major studies in general education courses offered by our College. The CLAS Academic Advising Center serves the academic needs of students pursuing or considering a major or minor in CLAS, Exploratory Study (undecided) students, and Pre-Professional students. Our work is centered around helping students to smoothly navigate the university while successfully finding or completing their major and/or minor.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Earned Bachelor’s Degree
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- At least one year of student support experience in higher education
- Successful experience working with and an understanding of underrepresented and diverse populations
- A strong understanding of and demonstrated desire for collaborative approaches to problem solving
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work both autonomously and as part of a collaborative team
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Earned Master’s degree, preferably in an academic advising related field such as Student Affairs, Adult and Higher Education or Educational Leadership
- At least two years of full-time student support experience in higher education
- Direct experience in academic advising
- Understanding of college student development theory and its application to academic advising
- Familiarity with computer student information systems, advising tools, and web-based records and registration programs (Banner, OnBase, Appointment Manager, EAB Navigate, etc.)
- Possession of the NACADA Academic Advising Certificate or Master’s Degree in Academic Advising
- Provide general academic advising to students with an interest in majors and/or minors in programs located within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as well as undecided/exploratory students.
- Provide inclusive and intentional advising and support to all students, including those experiencing academic difficulty and those seeking acceptance into secondary admission programs like the College of Education, medical school, dental school, etc.
- Provide outreach and support to students at mid-semester and final grading.
- Assist in the presentation of materials and information through workshops, electronic media and other modes of communication.
- Maintain accurate and detailed advising materials in collaboration with academic departments.
- Advise students in choosing an appropriate major and/or minor, and assist them with the appropriate course selection including a blend of general education and basic skills requirements.
- Provide academic advising at the first-year, transfer and international orientation sessions.
- Disseminate information on GVSU policies and procedures as it pertains to degree completion.
- Provide appropriate referrals as necessary to help students achieve their academic goals.
- Provide an inclusive and welcoming approach to academic advising for all students.
- Be the liaison to assigned academic departments.
- Other responsibilities as defined by the Director of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center.
- Position is primarily 8:00-5:00, Monday through Friday. Some evenings and weekends may be required for special events. Advisors may occasionally be asked to travel off campus.
Salary: $43,000 - $46,000, dependent on skills and experience of selected candidate
Department/Division: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend